Not sure what to do or how to help... I'm posting in Just For Fun so I can get some answers. please help!

Long story short: my sister and her husband are having problems. She kicked him out today, but he went back after he had gone to the club and had been drinking. They started fighting and she stabbed him. My niece (15) and nephew (9) were in the house. Nephew was asleep on the couch, niece in her room, sister and BIL were fighting in the back room. Blood was literally all over the place. Sister was arrested. Kids are here at my moms. My niece is so scared about what's going to happen to her mom cause she heard the cops talking about attempted murder. My nephew doesn't know what happen other than his parents were fighting and his dad was stabbed. What do I do? How do I help them?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 5:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• First I'm sorry that this happened to your family.  The most obvious answer is that she needs an attorney.  One who specialises in not only criminal law but also the abused womens issues.  It might take 2.   Contact a women;s shelter to find one. 

As far as what to tell your niece and nephew. U Say something along the lines of, Mom was very angry at something your Dad was doing.  She felt threatened and thought she had to defend herself. If that is the truth,  However it is not about ANYTHING that the 2 of YOU did.  Mom and Dad both love you very much.  Also know that the police always throw every charge that they can think of and the DA pleads it down. So attempted murder could change to assault with a deadly weapon.  I will pray for you.praying

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 6:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Wow Granmaw. How did you gather that this woman has been abused based on her attacking him with a knife?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would tell the children that you and your family are going to do everything you can to bring their mommy home safe. They already know mama and daddy were fighting and that mama went to jail. If your family believes in God, tell the children that it is in God's hands.

I agree with making sure the children understand they had nothing to do with it. Offer them as much guidance and love as you can. If they are showing any signs of emotional trauma, get them to a therapist ASAP to deal with what they saw.

I'll be thinking of your family.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:08 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• WOW - so sorry. But honestly this is to deep for me -call a lawyer fast.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• They need to work out their own issues legally. As far as what YOU do?....how about helping mom out with the kids. SHes going to burn out quickly, so maybe offer to take them places and help entertain them and get them back and forth to school. Try to keep their schedule as routine as possible. They are likely very scared so be there for them if they want to talk. Thats about all you can do.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2009