• In the Spotlight:

fever dangerous temp?

I asked my doctor what temperature was dangerous and in which I should worry cause I always panic when my son gets fevers....he told me none not to worry at any unless he is acting "out of it". This sort of worried me. My son is only 15 months and I am sure I could tell if he was sick but....was that the best advice to really be giving on his part?!

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 106 if over 3 days and not acting normal. I'd find a new Dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• anything over 101 I would be seeing a doctor for or at least calling one, pushing liquids, luke warm bath, etc. if over 103 go the er. that is what i was told.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No er, not even at 103 so long as they are normal and not acting lethargic etc. 103 I would call the dr not one 101 lol. Paranoid moms crack me up

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If there are more symptoms besides a fever, and it's 103 or above, I would call a doctor. If it spikes really high in a short amount of time, I would also call the doctor. The temperature itself isn't too important (unless you can't get it down, and there are other issues as well) but how quickly it rises.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Our doctor also says over 103 to call them. Not even take them to the ER unless they are acting strange.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If they have a fever of 103 or higher, I would call the doctor and explain any other symptoms to them. The doctor should be able to tell you at that point what the best course of action would be. If the child isn't having any other symptoms, I would just treat with Tylenol or Motrin. If, however, the fever is not going down after taking the medicine, my pediatrician recommends bringing them in. But overall a fever is nothing to panic about.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• The advice was OK but not complete.
    A fever is NOT the best indicator of how sick a child is. How your child acts is the best way to tell. If he acts sick, he's very sick. If he's running around like mad, he's not.

For fevers:
    If it is under 102.5, ignore it. You can give pain meds to help with pain and discomfort and to help him rest but do NOT give them just to take down the fever. That only makes him stay sick longer.
    If the fever is over 103 and will not come down with treatment, call the doctor.
    If the fever hits 103 3-days in a row, even if it keesp coming down, call the doctor.
    If the fever hits 104, go to the doctor or urgent care.
    If the child has a seizure or the fever gets about 105, go to the ER. Remember that fever in a child will be a very low priority. If you go to the ER for anything less than this, you will sit in a dirty waiting room with a sick, cranky toddler for hours.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

Just for you :)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2009