Offense! Defense!

Do you think you have the right to tell someone WHEN they should be offended?
Is offense a matter of personal feeling? Do you try to defend yourself when you've been offensive to someone, or do you apologize gracefully? Do you have a problem with apologizing for offending someone, even if you didn't mean to? Or do you attempt to discredit their personal feelings?

What do you find offensive and would you accept an apology, if it was sincere?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 9:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe some people cannot tell the difference between vehemently disagreeing and being insulting. I am never offended when someone simply has a difference of opinion. Offense comes from personal attacks.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Honestly- if its based on facts, I dont care if I offend somebody over the internet. There are some things said on here that really bother me, like the single mother Ann Coulter post.. Some of the replies offended me, but I dont lose sleep over it nor do I expect those who said some harsh thing to apologize either. Its their opinion and they have that right to have one.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• The political correctness in this country has gone overboard, who cares if you're offended or offensive already. Grow a spine and get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• These are alot of questions! Good though.
    If I intend on offending someone, no, I don't appologize.
    If I do it by mistake, then yes, I have no problem apologizing...remembering we all come from a different place.
    I can't discredit a persons personal feelings, they alone know and have them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It depends. If it's something as ridiculous as me not agreeing that our "president" is the end-all, save-all, greatest thing since sliced bread greatest thing in the world, then no, I do not apologize. If they get offended by what I say, too bad. I have as much right to my opinion of him as they did of President Bush. I never attack another person though. Their opinions are their's just like mine is mine. That's why I post anon 90% of the time,though. I cannot stand their garbage polluting up my page when they wan to go there and attack me,so it's just easier to do it this way. But, if I've stated something,and someone is kind enough to clarify what I might have said, or point out something I said might be taken out of context, I don't mind that at all. We have some very nice women on here,and I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong, and aplogize. I will not,however apologize for not worshipping at the feet of Obama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think that one part of feeling like you need to apologize to someone has to do with agreeing that you did something wrong.
    If you did nothing wrong, there is no need to apologize.
    Someones emotional response does not equal apology required.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You know I was just thinking about this when someone said I should be ok with being called colored...WTH I'm glad you're ok with it but I'm not.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thank you BEXi for you honesty. While I agree with you about the internet folks. I meant in all situations, like when you're out in public, or even a family member saying things that may be offensive to you.

Anon. while I'm sure you thought you were "clever".... I wasn't talking necessarily about political correctness. But thanks for jumping the gun Quick Draw. (roll eyes)
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• "You know I was just thinking about this when someone said I should be ok with being called colored...WTH I'm glad you're ok with it but I'm not."

Geez- I thought people moved on from that kind of thinking.. How old was the person who said that? 90?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anon. please don't make EVERY post about the President. Thanks. This has nothing to do with him. I did NOT put his name in any part of the post.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2009