Offense! Defense!

Do you think you have the right to tell someone WHEN they should be offended?
Is offense a matter of personal feeling? Do you try to defend yourself when you've been offensive to someone, or do you apologize gracefully? Do you have a problem with apologizing for offending someone, even if you didn't mean to? Or do you attempt to discredit their personal feelings?

What do you find offensive and would you accept an apology, if it was sincere?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 9:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I diecide for myself when I have been offended. I also would appologize if I offended someone without intending too.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't have a problem apologizing and I don't hold a 'grouch" ;-)
    LolaMateos

Answer by LolaMateos at 9:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am not easily offended but am quite often putting my foot in my mouth because I speak before I think and tell it like I see it. If I offend someone I try to apologize and explain saying "I'm sorry I offended you but here's where I am coming from..." People have a right to their feelings, but I also believe that 'we' are becoming a nation offended way too easily!

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am one to apologize on the spot, but My SIL is one to discredit your personal feelings then very rarely try to apologize for it.... She has a problem in thinking she is never wrong, therefore she said thats why she finds it hard to apologize... Can you say she is crazy or what!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I hate when people say "are you gonna just let him/her talk to you like that?"

Um, yeah. Why not? They have freedom of speech too. Besides, it's not like I'm ever going to meet most of you face to face anyway, right?

Now, if someone REALLY hurts my feelings, I will say something about it. If they apologize, I accept and we move on. If they don't, then I try to not read any more of that person's posts.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I never tell someone else "you should be offended by that" its their own personal opinion. I however am offended all the time!!!!! I work in an enviroment with all men. Me and One other woman are out numbered. They are sexist, rude, old-fashioned, ignorant, and grumpy most of the time. They make stupid comments all the time. Not towards me, just in general. They do not apologize for any of it. But as a woman I wear my feelings on my sleeve and know how it feels to be OFFENDED. I myself will be the first one to say sorry if I feel I've offended. But usually when someone says "no offense", they really dont mean it or they would have never taken the chance to possibly offend you in the first place.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It's amazing the different responses you get from HERE and the Politics & Current events section.

Thank you ladies.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2009