Do you feel that you have to go to church? (Christians)

I want to start out that in general, I believe in God, but have issues with Religion. I just don't think that any one religion has it right, so i do my praying etc by myself. But here is my question, as a Christian, do you feel that church is mandatory (you feel it is an obligation)?? I don't go to church unless we are visiting my parents and even then we only go on easter christmas etc. Also are there any christians that don't go to church regularly? Do you feel that to be a true christian you must go to church regularly?

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 9:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feel that if you are REALLY saved that God gives you a overwhelming desire to BE IN church.

God created church for Christians to support. and love each other before we head back out into an unbelieving world.

I understand your issue with churches in general. They can really turn you off, mainly b/c they are run by sinful people so therefore, have problems. But you just have to put it into perspective and realize that everyone sins, and most people in churches are doing the best they know how to do, this side of heaven anywho. lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Beautifully stated mom2twobabes! Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree. The more I develope a relationship with God, the more I want to be around fellow Christians, to worship Him together, study His word,and just fellowship and support one another.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't go to church because, quite simply, I feel that it hinders my relationship with God rather than helping it.

I have been to MANY different churches, and they all left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth. I'll have to tell my story one of these days for anyone to really understand . . .

But, no, Church is not mandatory, IMO. I sing in a music ministry with my DH and our friend, I pray every day, I WORSHIP every day, I read my bible . . . I'm good with God IMO.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• For ME it is mandatory. I have been saved for over 10 years but really over the last year and a half I have been really convicted. To tell you the truth I need the fellowship. I am lucky to belong to a church that really cares for the people and is not judgemental. I think it says a lot that the motto is "come as you are"
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Hebrews 10:25 speaks of "not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together," but I do not necessarily believe that you have to go to "church", I do feel that you should at least have a Bible study at least once a week with fellow believers. It is important to have that connection.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't go to church to feel closer to God but to be with family. I honestly can say I can feel close to God outside, at the beach, digging in my garden....but what church does give me is a family. A family who is there to support, encourage and pray with me. A family that worships, praises and helps others with me. I learn from them and grow through them closer to God.

What is hard is finding one that is like a family...try a smaller church. Bigger ones often have more programs and are great but I found 'my' church in a rural area. They are truly a family and like every family we don't always get along...but its still family.

A church gives you a place to grow faith wise....plus in the Bible it states where 2 or more are gathered in my name...I am there...so you can be close to God there...
    tiggerrrt

Answer by tiggerrrt at 11:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No, it is not mandatory. GOD is with you always and in all ways. You don't need to enter a "special" building to have time with GOD. You ARE the church. Church (the building) should be about being with others who share your beliefs and about encouragement, compassion, fellowship, friendship, etc. with like-minded people. IF you feel that this is what you want in your life, then seek it out. If not, then it's probably not something that is required for you at this time in your spiritual journey.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I believe that it is mandatory to go to chruch. For me in my family GOD comes first before anything and everything. If he has given us eternal life, why couldnt we give it to him by going to services and listen to his word, serving him, as a christian your life is a busy act its not a routine , You are serving the lord in the good deeds that he wants us too. I love it! My family have grown to be closer and to depend in the lord!

Trust me at first I thought the same thoughts I didnt think we should go all the time, But then I was meditating If he gave us life and given us so many miracles. If we need something and we ask he will give it to us without whining about it. He is a God of promises finishes of what he started.
    ytapia

Answer by ytapia at 11:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't claim to be anything BUT Christian. I claim no religion. I go to a General Baptist church on occassion because I feel like they are teaching straight from the Bible. I can't say that for most other churches I've been to. Have you tried some different denominations? There might be something out there that closely relates to your way of thinking.

I don't think church is neccessary, but I do think it's good for us. We can find comfort and fellowship from people who believe the same as we do.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• the Bible says to fellowship w/ other Christians & to praise God. how you do that is up to you. personally, i dont go to church b/c i haven't found one that teaches only Jesus & the Bible. every church claims they do, but once i dig deep into what they believe there are always rules that make no sense.

i dont believe God gives us he desire to go to church only if we are truly saved. my mom is a GREAT Christian, but she doesn't always want or get anything out of church. i get nothing outta church b/c im too busy keeping my DD entertained so that she doesn't distract from the service. i get more out of my own Bible study & conversations w/ my dad.

if you feel its important, then it is & you should go. if you dont feel its important, then its not, just make sure you are praising God in other ways.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009