When should I buy new bottles?

My son's 10 months old, and I've had the same plastic bottles (Evenflo) f0r about 3 months ish. I'm just wondering if I should replace them at all, or if washing after each use in hot soapy water is fine, he'll be using a sippy cup all the time in the next two months...any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as your cleaning them after each use, I would suggest keep them. Why spend money on new ones when he probably won't use them much longer. I have a 9 month old and I still have the same bottles since her birth. She is also starting to drink from sippy cups.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Are they BPA free? If not I'd get some that are now and make sure the sippys are, too. Avent makes a BPA free plastic bottle, and there are a few other brands, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Good lord people....just keep them and use them. For a hundred years people have used the same bottles even through each kids. And no one has died from the bottles or the BPA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• All my toy's, bottles, soothers, and sippy's are BPA free...studies have proven that it causes cancer, so YA it has killed people..we're just now figuring it out, that it is BAD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We replaced ours every 3-4 months, but that is because they would start getting calcium buildup on them. If it weren't for the calcium buildup I probably would have kept them throughout the entire infancy. I think we have hard water and it was a contributing factor to the bottles downfall.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't think there's any reason to replace the bottles. The nipples have to be replaced every few months, but our boys went up a "flow" or to a sippy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Should be fine if you use hot soapy water. Just make sure to watch for weak points such as cracks or soft spots. If the bottle is starting to weaken it will need to be relaced. However, the chances of htat happening after just a few months is quite slim. I used the drop ins, so never really worried about the bottles. I just made sure the nipples were clean and not weakened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• RECENTLY , research has shown that BPA is not harmful. I really think people should stop "freaking" out topics that people post, and try to answer in a way that doesnt feel as though you are being attacked.
    I too agree, people have been using the same types of plastic bottles for years and babies arent dying from it. BPA is just what they place in the mixture when making bottles, to make them shatterproof .. for those that don't know what it is.
    No one worried about bpa in our family and not one person has cancer..go figure.
    KristaAnne

Answer by KristaAnne at 4:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Oh, and I've noticed the "attackers" are the ones that post annon.
    KristaAnne

Answer by KristaAnne at 4:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009