How do you know if you are done having babies?

I will be 30 next week. ahhh. lol I have a 5.5 year old and a 3.5 year old. I find myself always thinking about a third baby. My dh does this sometimes too I know, b/c he has mentioned it.

Everything is so perfect right now, happy, busy, even numbers. LOL joking. lol

Did you just KNOW you were done, no questions in your mind? Or did you just decide to push your feelings aside and make yourself be done? Tell me your stories.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that is just a personal decision. If you feel like you are done than you should honor that. I once read that a women missed being a mom and caring for a baby, but she was done with having kids so she got a dog, and that filled the nurturing void she had. To summerize try getting a dog that might fill the void.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It is a personal decision.  I was done at two.  I knew I was done at two.  I was soooooo done at two. LOL. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I wasn't done. My husband was. I wanted a couple more, but it didn;t seem right to force more babies on a father that did not want more.
    He got 'fixed' and I just had to move past those feelings.
    and it has been a very fulfillling life for us. We have hosted a boy from Honduras with medical probllems, hosted exchange students from Japan, been involved in city outreach programs. and I have found that doing those things really helped fill that void -which I no longer have.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I had three from my first marriage. When I met my current DH I started thinking it would be nice to have one of our own. It took us about 2 yrs to decide to go for it. He has one DD from his ex girlfriend. In 2005 we had our son...four months later I was pregers again bringing our "his mine and ours" total to 6. Yeah soooo done! Had my tubes tied with my last he was breech so a C-section. I still had pangs of....wow how sad no more kids for me ever...but I knew it was for the best. We have a big noisy beautiful family and I am truly blessed. My SIL has 5 also and she cried after her tubal. There is just something so final about it ya know. I think it is only natural to feel a bit sad once you make the decision.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I still stop and gaze at the babies in the nursery at my twins' daycare, but I know I won't have any more. At this point I feel having another baby would take away what I can give to the children I already have and it would stress my family; we'd need a bigger house, bigger car, etc. I'm also almost 37, so I have to be thinking about retirement a little more seriously than I did a few years ago. I'm still sad I won't have any more babies, but I am looking forward to doing all kind of fun stuff with my kids that would be hard with another a baby...and I also think about grandchildren (my oldest is 12 1/2, so maybe in 10 or 15 years). My husband and I have also talked about doing foster care when our children are older, so I'm not totally saying no more kids will come into my home - I'm just not having any more babies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We ran out of room. I'd have to dig a room if we had another kid.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Its hard to know but sometimes you just have to make the decision even if a little voice keeps suggesting another baby would be so nice! LOL. I never thought a dog would be a good substitute though because they are a whole lot of trouble. JMO. They can't actually talk with you,either. LOL. I prefer humans.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think it depends on the person. Hubby & I have two boys are we're for sure not done. I want a large family.. Maybe 5 kids. Hubby wants 4. We have agreed that if our 3rd is a girl we'll be done.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Personally, my uterus decided to fall out.
    I agree with the first poster, get a puppy or a kitty.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I will be done at 2 kids. We have a 10 month old now and will only have one more. We always talked about having 2 or 3, but after having our first child and seeing how much time and money it takes to raise a child, we've decided our magic number is 2 ...

We plan on trying for #2 next year. By the time the baby is born, our son will be close to 3 years old, if everything works out. I plan on having an elective csection (had a csection with the first one) and then getting a tubal done after the baby is born. Yea no more birth control!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009