• In the Spotlight:

Iowa Supreme Court lifts the ban on "Gay Marriage" what are your thoughts?

What does this mean for school children? In California they did teach about gay marriage in school until Prop 8 was passed. It was up to the teacher. My sons teacher told the students those who opposed gay marriage were religious nuts. There was nothing that could be done other than pull my child out of that school and put them in a Catholic school where they just taught the kids instead of indoctrinating them to hate Christians and Conservatives.

What about churches? Will they have to marry these couples? I know there were a couple of lawsuits over pastors not marrying gay couples. All were in the early stages and the suits were thrown out when Prop 8 was passed. I think all would have lost but the churches would have spent a lot of money to fight for their right to their beliefs.

What are your thoughts? Keep it nice we all have the right to our beliefs and opinions on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it's great. I think it's absolutely horrible to tell two people in love they can not get married just because certain religions are uncomfortable with it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think if a church does not want to marry a couple, it shouldn't matter. I believe it's their right to refuse their services. I had a pastor refuse to marry us because he would not join his church. That didn't make me want to sue, just make me know for sure I didn't want to join that church. I also do not feel that teachers should push their personal opinions on students. They should stay away from controversial topics and stick with the facts if they do not stay away from the subject. It's a sensitive subject for a lot of people and that's okay. But I don't want someone else trying to teach my child how they should view these subjects.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think it is great that Iowa made this decision, to be honest. As for my kids learning about gay marriage in school, I could care less. My children already know a bit about gay/lesbian/straight lifestyles because we have some gay friends. It is a lifestyle that people are going to have to get used to, because it is a lot more prominent now then it was even 5 years ago. Churches refuse to marry couples for many reasons. If the couple isn't of the same faith, if the couple lived together before marriage, and now apparently if the couple is of the same sex. If they are allowed to exercise that right with other couples, they should be allowed to exercise that right in these cases, IMO.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Ok fair point. As far as teaching it in school, I would want it be mentioned as legal or illegal or whatever, but not said that it is wrong or right. I guess I should have been more clear. The fact that gay marriages exist and that gay couples exist and that domestic partnerships exist are FACT. That can be taught. The opinion that it is right or wrong or should be legal or should be illegal are OPINION and shouldn't be taught.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• The schools should not be teaching about guy marriage. You should have told your sons teacher that she is the nut, you do not bad mouth any ones religion. You have to put you foot down hard when teacher say stupid things.
    Some gay people like having a partnership. I believe that will be the best. They can do it legally, so they get the benefits, just like a married couple.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

I did but in Cali they have the legal right to teach what they want. I pulled my son out of the school and put him in a Catholic school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well i think there are churches out there willing to do it for these couples and i think the lawsiuts are stuiped, go find a church that will lol, i mean why throw your selves to the sharks if you dont have to lol,
    i have no problem with same sex marriage me and my husband have a couple that are both guys and they say the same thing they would rather get married in a church that they would be welcome and that would peform the ceromony why go looking for trouble lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I say hey! its their life! not mine and I could care less what they do!..... On another note... schools should not be teaching about gay awarness or marriage or anthing like that... Are kids going to need to know that for job related skills.... I dont think so! as for churched to refuse gay marriage well its their belive and their right to refuse service... They can just get married in court and then have a marriage ceremony or something like that...
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It doesn't matter one way or the other. That is the couple's business and it shouldn't effect anyone. Everyone has the right to their own choices. My kids and grandkids are aware of gays and of partners, etc. and nobody is shocked or appalled. Live and let live. It shouldn't be a religious issue,either. Be kind to your fellow human beings. While I am not gay, I certainly won't disapprove of their choice. If Iowa lifts the ban,that's just fine.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think it's fantastic! Why shouldn't gay couples have the same rights and responsibilities as straight couples?

I don't believe your child's teacher was in the right, though, to say such a thing. I know several people that are not religious that don't believe in gay marriage. And those are things that are considered "taboo" in the TX department of education - here, the teacher would have been reprimanded and could have lost her job.

As for the churches, there are a lot of churches that do not, and will not support gay marriage no matter what. If someone is trying to push one of these churches into doing ceremony, it sounds to me like they are just doing it to stir up trouble (gotta love the drama). Go to a J.P, or a unitarian church. Or Church of Christ and Episcopalian churches - they are both gay-friendly. Why just try to cause drama for drama's sake? I don't think the churches should be hold liable for that.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2009