If anyone can help!

I have a 7 1/2 year old daughter, she has PVL and CP, she has always been a tough kid, and she has never before let anything stand in her way of doing what she wants (sometimes this works to my disadvantage , but recently she has been doing poorly in school, not trying to do her work anymore and at at home she wont even get up to go look for something she wants. I only have two kids and the youngest one is about to turn one, I have never had to deal with a child at this age beofre and so I dont really know if this is normal or if I should be concerned. I am concerned, but I dont know what to do or what to say to get her excited in things again, she used to be so happy to be in school and so excited to show me her work and now, nothing. If anyone has any ideas I am open to try anything!

CO_m0mmy22

Asked by CO_m0mmy22 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am sorry, what is PVL? It doesn't really seem normal to me, but my son is that age too. So it may just be around the corner for him. I know that my nephew got that way around 12, but that is to be expected somewhat. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son is thqat age too, and he started having trouble at school around christmas break. I thnk his problem is more his teacher though(long story). But just make yoursefl more involved. If my son doesnt get his stuff done at school he has to finish it that night, and is grounded the rest of the night too. And dont cater to ther if she wont go get her own stuff, or look for anything at home. She can do that on her own, and if it is something you are asking her to do and she refuses, give her an option, either do it or looses whatever privilidge you decide on, that way it is her choice, but you have to follow through. I think it is normal, my son tried to do it, and in talking to other parents at his school and frends of mine, alot of kids do it at this age. Just put your foot down, you dont have to be mean, just dont give her her way. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Putting your foot down sounds good but I'd also rule out that something has happened that you are not aware of (maybe at school -- something w/ teacher or other kids) that has her depressed. I don't know what PVL is either but if she has medical issues I'd also rule that out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I am sorry that your daughter is having these problems. My son has been treated for two years for myoclonic epilepsy, he is now three, and we just found a PVL on the left side of his brain. He was also just changed from Phenobarbital to Keppra, and that seems to be working well for him. If you have not done so yet, maybe you should get an EEG for your daughter, just to make sure that there are no seizures happening.
    Also, it might help to have a conference with her teacher(s) at school and tell them what is happening, and see if there are any suggestions that they have. My son just started preschool disabled, he was in early intervention for two years.
    I really hope she is NOT having any seizures, but, its good to be careful. Sending you prayers that it will all get resolved, Love, Diane
    diane08502

Answer by diane08502 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers, for those of yopu who dont know, PVL is damage to the white matter in the brain, my daughters in in her left tempral loab, it is caused by lack of oxygen at birth. I am seeing a counsler with her right now, I have put my foot down I feel like I am being so harsh but I dont know what eles to do. I am going to get her another EEG, she hasnt had one since she was a year and half when we found the PVL. is it possible for her to be having seizures without us really knowing, I know sometimes she just stares into space, but I thought she might be tunning me out. I have talked to her teacher, she says she is great in school and she wishes all her students were as kind and helpful and willing to learn as astrea...though I think she must have her mistaken with another child :)
    CO_m0mmy22

Answer by CO_m0mmy22 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2009