All religions (or lack thereof, LOL): Do you "turn the other cheek"?

Matthew 5:39 (KJV)
" But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

This scripture tells those of the Christian faith to be passive and "turn the other cheek" when someone wrongs them.

For Christians: Do you follow this scripture? Are you truly a passive person, or are you more aggressive?

For non-Christians: Do you have any belief similar to this? Do you believe in being passive and turning the other cheek for Karma's sake, or do you find yourself wanting vengeance?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• generally I turn the other check, but not before I say a few things first!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i do try too. expecially with my mil
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• cheek... lol. oops
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• In Colossians the bible says for Christians to forbear and forgive one another. Since we are all humans and others have not yet arrived to complete spiritual perfection we must be ready to forgive and bear with one another until they are able to overcome their imperfections which is the goal of every believer.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Absolutely. Otherwise we'd be getting angry all day long and I just don't have time for that.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Im not a vengeful person by nature.
    I might say how Im feeling but I wouldnt purposefully go after someone just to "get even" or anything like that. Its just not who I am.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• it depends if the situation needs that or a beating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Satanism in general is against turning the other cheek....especially if the person keeps it up. If someone else instigates, then "do unto others as they do unto you" :) Personally, I am not a confrontational person by nature, so I'd have to be REALLY provoked to do something back, but I don't see why it's a bad thing. I used to get picked on a lot at school and "turning the other cheek" never did jack shit to make them stop! Too bad I was Christian then...
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• There is a time for turning the other cheek and there is a time for vengeance. For me it's a matter of balance between the offense and the response and to balance out my own emotional response so that I am not too angry or sad.. Often I respond in equal vein.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Interesting viewpoint mommiejay, however your words conflict with your actions.  How do you explain your behaviour in this post?

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/158364/Do_you_look_at_porn?cat_id=&next=1#answers

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009