My 2 & 3 year olds are NOT sleeping....What to do?

The last few night my two youngest have been waking up around 1:20 am and staying up well into the 3 & 4 o'clock hours. My husband and I are losing sleep as if we have newborns again. I have becone weak and sick. How do I restore the sounds of sleeping kids through the night?

Sincerely

Sleep Deprived mommy of 3

CandiM0M

Asked by CandiM0M at 10:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are they in the same room? Do you go in to them when they wake up like that? What are they doing in those hours?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have the same trouble my 20 mon old doesn't sleep all nite. He wakes up and wants rocked. I've tried everything, but nothing works. I usually end up rocking him for awhile till he goes back to sleep, but sometimes that's hrs at a time. Let me know when you find the trick. Good luck!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 11:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• They do sleep in the same room in toddler beds. Under normal cicumstances they go to bed at 8-8:30 pm... nothing out of the ordinary, they awake eith due in part by a leakage (pull-up) or apparently they requir more milk in their sippys. Recently we have began not allowing another full cup of milk... only because they end up peeing through a LOT! Last night in particular they both woke up within minutes of each other whining and crying I made sure they were dry, and laid them back in their beds, they stayed awake playing in their bed for a little while then fell back asleep low an behold 20 min later to come do the same thing... I ended up turning the tv on and they dozed off somewhere around 4:15am nearly 2 hours later. Then they woke up at 7am this morning. STILL STUMPED
    CandiM0M

Answer by CandiM0M at 11:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I recently went through this with my 16month old. It was like, "wait a minute, I'm not used to this, I need my sleep!" ;) Just be VERY firm that this is sleep time, and put them back in bed. If they get up, discipline, then explain it again, and put them back. Eventually they'll get it, but hurry, because they are creating a "new" schedule every night they do this.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Has anything changed in their lives or yours as a family? Sometimes problems like this can be due to changes that they just haven't adapted to yet. It could be simple as they are less active during the day. Also, it could be that they don't need as much sleep as they used to. My kids are older now but I never put my oldest to bed before 9pm. She just doesn't sleep that much. She naturally wakes up in 8-9 hours.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• A few things... Why are they in pull-ups? Do you take them to the potty at night? If not (if you're not working on night potty training), I would just put them in regular diapers because they're more absorbent. Also, they really shouldn't be drinking milk in the night (there's lots of sugar in it an that can rot their teeth). Kids do fine without drinks in the night. It sounds like you just need to lay down the law. (Sleep is not optional at bedtime!). Take toys out of their room so they can't play in their beds, remind them beds are for sleep, keep the room very dark so they can't play in there anyway. Then try to interact as little as possible when you go in. Check for wetting, say goodnight, put them back in bed, close the door. I would avoid the TV because that could give them a reason to get up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009