Any good ideas for home made baby food?

I want to start making my baby's food instead of buying 30 jars a week. Any suggestions? I already put fruits in a blender, just wondering if there was anything else to make?

octoberlynn

Asked by octoberlynn at 11:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I actually have done a lot of different veggies. I have actually found the canned sweet peas with no salt added to be really good and my DD likes those. I make a ton of stuff. Butternut squash, acorn squash, yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, brocoli, cauliflower, beets (loved these), asparagus (loved this too). You name it, it can go in the food processor. I actually add a little non salted butter to her veggies b/c if I don't like unbuttered veggies why would she. Just a thought we all do things differently.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Any veggies steamed and pureed. Take a whole sweet pot. and bake in microwave, mush with breat milk or formula. No seasonings, grease, oil or sugar. Just simple veggies and fruit. Even boiled chicken ground in a food processor, ground beef. Get the book...I'm here, now what, by Vicky Lansky. It has wonderful recipes and ideas for finger foods for all ages.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I add a dash of garlic powder to dd veggies. Garlic is good for them and tastes yummy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Babies don't need and won't "miss" anything like butter or salt. Why start it? I didn't with my son and he doesn't want it on them now and he is 13. He doesn't even care for salt, butter or grease on any food. He prefers healthier foods because that is what he was used to. Any flavor or seasoning is just an aquired taste anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Why not use a little real garlic once they are over one year. Not powder while they are babies. Real onion. Good healthy natural seasoning.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Actually, the name of the book is, Feed me, I'm yours, by Vicky Lansky. Sorry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• www.weelicious.com - there are some wonderful ideas on that site. Weelicious is also the name of the CM member who started the site. I got some great ideas from her in the Homemade Babyfood group here. I love making baby food! I use the KidCo Babysteps Natural Feeding system. I like it because it comes with an electronic mixer, a food mill you can use by hand, storage trays, feeding bowl, spoon, travel case, and recipe book. I also used frozen foods. They taste better and are easy to steam.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 5:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My daughter decided she was done with purees around 9 mo., so I started making all of her foods in a finger food variety. Chopped, cubed, steamed veggies and fruits are favorites. Now that she is older, I add basil, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic, onion as I see fit to add some flavor. I also hide the purees I have left in the freezer in grilled cheese sandwiches (i.e. grilled cheese and broccoli sandwishes, etc.) and use sweeter veggies as pasta sauce (sweet potato "sauce" and acorn squash "sauce"). As long as she can feed herself, she isn't picky about what she is eating. I even put yogurt over cheerios in the morning because she isn't interested in taking anything on a spoon from me (and she hasn't quite mastered its uses yet...getting there).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• sweet potatoes!!!! if you have a baby food grinder the possibilities are endless, my in laws have a huge garden so we would do alot squash too. fruits any kind experiment with what your child likes the best, but be careful for food allergies, do one kind for like 3 days for allergy testing. you could make anything for your baby with a baby food grinder. have fun with that, that was always my favorite and still is, finding out what your child likes the best. keep it healthy
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 4:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009