Why can't we do this?

Reading the reactions to the perchlorate in formula story makes me wonder why moms have to turn on each other in these so-called mommy wars.

Wouldn't we all be better served if we turned our anger to the place that really deserves it...the manufacturers who are not doing as well as they should? The companies who spend more money on marketing their product than they do on improving it?

I cannot imagine how much money Enfamil and Similac spend every year in mailing cans of powdered formula to moms who checked "breastfeeding" on a survey card. Wouldn't we all be better off if that money went into improved systems and improved formulas?

What good does it do any of us to snipe at each other?

Asked by gdiamante at 11:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree. All ire should be directed at formula companies. Unfortunately, whenever anyone complains about the quality of formula -- EVEN A FORMULA FEEDING MOM-- she'll be attacked by people that feel defensive about their choice to formula feed.

I don't understand it. Infant formula is a manufactured product. It can be made better than it is. It can be more filtered than it is, with a higher bar for safety and for ingredients. But as long as the mothers and fathers buying formula say it's "just fine" no one cares about quality. Instead, effort is put into marketing tactics with little to no benefit and substantial risks such as the Martek DHA and ARA oils which come from fungus and algae and which are heavily linked to severe diarrhea in infants.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Because people assume any info about formula and the dangers is a direct attack on them for formula feeding. It's the only conclusion I can come up with!

I agree, we need to lobby against these companies to make this alternative safer! I am angry and don't even formula feed. How any mother can be ok with the stuff in that can is beyond me! We need to fight to ensure our children our healthy, and not let big companies get away with this!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• B/c people dont' realize that there's trace amounts of stuff in breastmilk too. Everything is tainted
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I can't find any info that this is in formula but it is in our drinking water. It is a man made and chemically made product. Other than that no info.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• And yes the money should go to improving it but they're not sitting there tainting it. Everything on this earth is tainted from chemicals. Our air is tained with chemicals and our babies will be exposed to chemicals and will have trace amounts in their bodies, just like ours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't see what's the big deal. It's FDA approved and as far as I know formula fed children are still alive and healthy right? I was fed formula and I'm the epitomy of health and always got good grades throughout school, and always made smart life choices for myself.

I mean if children were dying I could see a reason to get your panties in a bunch, plus where's the proof that formula contains such hazardous things? I've look at the ingredients and even googled most of them and wasn't worried about any of them.
    Anonymous

• Breastmilk isn't perfect either. Why don't breastfeeding moms put themselves on a strict diet of only organic foods, nothing with preservatives. Not to mention the moms who drink while breastfeeding. or smoke pot, or take narcotics, or smoke cigarettes.
    Anonymous

• You think the FDA has our best interest in hand? Children ARE dying. Children are less healthy in this day and age. When formula feeding became a fad, childhood illness also rose? Coincidence, NO.

There is plenty of proof. The CDC released the article this morning. There is also proof formula contains melamine, and thyroid toxins. It HAS been proven. People just don't even want to care anymore. These companies get away with poisoning our children, but we don't care.

Formula is tainted by using unclean ingredients. Over processed, fake ingredients and cows milk that is from unclean/hormone injected cows.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• (Yes, breastmilk contains many of the same contaminants as formula, however breastmilk also contains many ingredients that help the infant's body deal with the contaminants. Breastmilk is also not mixed with water that is contaminated with the same contaminants.)

Infant formula, as a manufactured "static" product has a higher bar to live up to as far as chemical contamination than breastmilk does simply because it contains fewer beneficial components, and also because it is a manufactured product where quality control can and should be in place.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• "It's FDA approved "

Considering the number of FDA approved medications that have been suddenly yanked off the market inthe past year, FDA approval should not give anyone any comfort.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009