Do your kids share a room?

We have two bedrooms and a 12 month old Because of the economy, we cant move, but I dont want to put my life on hold. I am thinking about ttc and having my son share a room with the new baby when the new baby starts sleeping through the night.Do your kids share a room and if so, how does it work out? Positive/ negative experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if you have a second baby and it is the oppisite sex of your first then you will have to get a bigger home soon or later because after a certain age they can't share a room they need there own room and privacy if they are the oppisite sex that is. I have a 3 bedroom home with 2 girls. 4yrs and 15 mo. Hubby and I have our room and then my girls each have there own room for now but if we have anymore kds then if it is a boy then he will have his own room and the girls will share. If it is another girl then I will let my oldest have her orn room and the youngest 2 will share.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My boys do, and I am pregnant with a girl and have an 18 month old dd and they will too. Not sure how the newborn and toddler thing will work out yet though, but that is the plan. My boys didnt start sharing untill they were, about 1 1/2 and 3. It has always worked out fine for us, they love it. They get frusterated occasionally, but when we talk about moving to a bigger house, they still ask if they will be in the same room. Be careful though, in some states you cant have 2 kids of opposit sex in the same room together past a certain age, and some not at all. There is no way of knowing what you will have when ttc.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We plan on selling as soon as the market picks back up in the next couple years. It would only be a temprary thing until the youngest was about 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• What, seriously, kids can't share a room if they're of the opposite sex? This is a matter of state law? Good grief! Our girls don't share a room right now, but they're likely to in our next place (we have to move out of state this summer). I have friends who have had their two (girl and boy) in bunkbeds for years. Another family I used to nanny for in Paris had 3 kids, (2 girls and a boy) in one room and they did fine. Your baby can be in a bassinet in your room until he or she sleeps through, then I think they should do fine in a room together. I think people don't give kids enough credit for what they can adapt to. You just have to be prepared for some hard days in the adjustment period and not panic or pick up bad habits just to avoid one or two rough nights.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Ok, I just looked into this question of the legality of room sharing for boy/girl siblings. From what I can see, it's just a requirement for foster families or families taking advantage of government housing. Does not apply to natural brothers and sisters. Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found in my quick internet research.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I babysat for a 3 and 5 year old when I was in college and they shared a room and did great!
    AmandaL21

Answer by AmandaL21 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Boy and girl ( i forgot to add)
    AmandaL21

Answer by AmandaL21 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have three kids a girl who will be 3 and two boys 21 months and 4 weeks. Once the newest one sleeps more at night he will be sharing a room with his broher. At first I was worried but then figured I don't really have a choice so I decided to look at the positives instead of the negatives. I think that they will love sharing a room and when it becomes a problem(if it does) we'll deal with it then.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have a four bedroom house and right now we are all in my room! I have two girls, 4 years and two months. I can't wait for my baby to get a few months older so that I can put them in the room together. Right now, my four year old is afraid to be in the room alone. She seems to be comfortable if the baby is in the room with her. We'll see what happens in a few months.
    actress

Answer by actress at 1:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My sons share a room (6 and 3). They love to sleep on the bunk beds..
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009