how do i ...

i need to take my dd pacifier she is 2 years old (i know, i know please no bashing) but i was wondering if any of you had any tips or advice on how to get her off of it without it being a major upset for her..

lalasmom8

Asked by lalasmom8 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my son, I just took it away. Along with all the ones I had in my house, and he never asked any questions. We luckily had no problems. My dd has never taken a pacifier...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Do you celebrate Easter? If so, a friend told me what she did for her son and I think it is adorable. (this was a while ago) She had her son put all his pacifiers in his easter basket the night before easter. She told him that the Easter Bunny would come and take those pacifiers to other babies who need them and he would leave a big boy present for him in his Easter Basket. She said it worked like a charm and he never asked for it back.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We just tossed them all in the trash. COLD TURKEY!
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You are the boss!!! Just take them away and explain that 'big' kids don't use a pacifier...they are for babies!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 12:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• About two weeks before my son turned two, I just took it away and tried rocking him to sleep and comforting all I could. Before too long, he forgot about it. And don't worry about her having it until two, kids have a non-nutritive sucking need until 18months more or less, and some it lasts till about 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Just take it away and be done with it in a few days. There is no sure-fire way to do it without "major upset".

Taking it slowly will draw it out and make the upset last longer. Or...cold turkey and be done and over with it in 2-3 days. It's really up to you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I like that easter idea :) My son never really went for a pacifier, sucked on it a couple times, but that's it, so it wasn't a battle with us, but I would also do it cold turkey and not drawn out.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You are just gonna have to take them all away and throw them away. She'll forget about em within a week. What I did was distracted my daughter from thinking about them and replaced it with another object to comfort her like a blanket or a stuffed animal. Good luck! you're gonna need it for the first few days! AND DON'T GIVE IN EITHER!!!!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my litle brother used to be so bad about his pacifiers. my mom let him keep his until he was like 3 and then one night when she was sleeping my dad gathered up all the pacifiers in the house and cut the nipples off and put them all back. and when my brother tried to suck on them the next day he was so bummed and got over his pacifiers in like 20 minutes and never asked for one again.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 2:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't get it.. my daughter must be pretty stubburn. She is 2.5 still take a soothie pacifier and if her paci gets a hole in it she will suck on it for a few and say "please fix it mommy". She won't stop. I don't see how it was that easy for all of you. I mean days she will hang on to that paci and ask me to fix it.
    jennieevlyn

Answer by jennieevlyn at 3:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009