what would you do?

I have a 15 month old rott/yellow lab mix puppy. She is a wonderful dog, listens well plays well with other dogs BUT is very very hyper. We have recently learned that she does not like to be bothered when she is sleeping or laying down. She has low growled at my other dogs before but i thought she was just being a brat. She doesnt show her teeth when she does it, its just a get the heck off me growl and if they move she quits. She has done it to me but i just tell her to shut up and she quits. Well yesterday she did it to my DD when she was climbing on her (dd is 9mos) my heart damn near dropped but the dog didnt do anything else. I told my DF about it and he said she gotta go cause he wouldnt be able to live wiht himself if something worse happened (me either andi agree with him though i lvoe this dog dearly DD is wayyyy more importnant) so in my situation, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pets

• I would try to find someone that I knew who could take the dog. That way, I could visit. But I would get rid of the dog without even a second thought.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with your DF. I wouldnt leave it to chance. I would look for her a NICE home.

I dont see a problem with giving a pet away as long as you are responsible about it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Go with your gut.
    What the dog is doing to the other dogs is appropriate. She's showing her attempt or success at being alpha among that pack. You/Husband need to make sure the dog understands that YOU are alpha in the house pack. Every breed has their "thing". With Rotties they will forever try to "one up" you. You will forever have to be on top of her. If you are capable of this, good. If not, do what your gut is probably telling you.
    One of the things people often do when getting a pup is obviously fall in love with an adorable ball of fur. They put aside the breeds traits, and their own lifestyle to see if it's a good match. I'm in no way saying anything negative about the breed, just stating what is real.
    Trust your gut.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i have a lab/border collie mix that makes a growling sound like that when he is surprised (like if he is sleeping and one of the kids falls on him). he nevers snaps and its not a malicious thing. its just the noise he makes when something startles him. my doberman whines when she gets startled. you just have to know you animal. if you think that there is even a possibility he could mean it as a threat then you would have to get rid of him
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i would not get rid of my dogs for that alone. I believe that children should be taught to respect animals. Obviously she doesnt like being layed on. could she have a sore or bruise from something??? Maybe she was injured at some point and you just dont know it. That happened to my dog. No dog no matter what breed should be left alone with small children and all children should be taught to respect animals. when it does happen grab her mouth closed and tell her oh no no, nice , she's not gonna hurt you.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You can teach her(the dog) not to act like that and your child needs to learn leave the dog alone when they are eating and sleeping. You need to bug the dog more when she is sleeping and see if she gets use to it. I would not get rid of her cause she growled.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree with IMAMOM2-2KIDS dogs will growl, they’re dogs. Get her used to you messing with her food and while she is sleeping.
    Bear777

Answer by Bear777 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2009