family not happy

we are currently expecting and scared to tell some family about the baby.
we are married, and have other children. very stable.

HOW DO I NOT LET IT BOTHER ME!!!
i seriously want to smack them. I know how the reaction will be, and
i'm not looking foward to it. I can't share this moment with them and really
be happy. granted i live a ways a way, but the favor our oldest, and i'm
just not looking foward to them ignoring yet ANOTHER one of our
children.
anyone else have to go through this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep, I know how you feel. My mom is one of 6 kids, and she only had 2, I am on #4 and she is convinced that I amgoing to ignore all of them. She also has anxiety problems and is worried about me loosing it the way she would if she is overwhelmed. My hubby tod her the last 2 times, and told her not to say anything bad about it to me cause we are happy about the baby. He never told me what she said, but she never said a negative word to me abnout it, so problem solved. Maybe you just need to make it clear that you are not listening to the negative opinions. Have the oldest tell them, and maybe they will not freak. GL, I know how you feel, but you gotta do it sometime.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thats how I felt with our first child.
    I just told them and let them do their thing.

The only way to not let it bother you is to keep telling yourself that it doesnt and it will be alright and screw them...they dont know squat anyway. I have found getting a bit angry in my head helps to keep it from bothering me in the long run LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No, but as long as your child has the love and affection of his parents that is all that matters.
    Anonymous

• Remember that you can only control your own behavior. Consider the source when they react badly. Put up with it as kindly as you can, because they are family. I know it hurts when one child is favored over the other, so talk to them in a non-threatening manner about it some time. I told my MIL that my younger son noticed that she favored the older and that it hurt his feelings, and she did try to do better. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 12:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh honey! I'm very sorry that you carry this anger about your family around w/ you. Listen, You ARE married & you have your own life now with your husband & your children. If this side of the family does not want to share this wonderful news then I wouldn't bother sharing it with them. If they find out later, then you can explain why you didn't want to share your news... ESPECIALLY if they are just going to be negative about it. If they are upset with you then that should be between you & them but I don't understand why they wouldn't want to be involved in children's lives. My brother & I don't have a close relationship but I am very close to his children. This is your life so enjoy this time with your husband & the people who want to celebrate it with you. Best wishes & CONGRATS!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I only told my mom and MIL. The rest of the family kinda figured it out by themselves. I was just tired of gettin the lectures. Several of my cousins have had babies with lowlifes who don't support their kids so I think my aunts were figuring my SO would do the same but he's the best father I could have asked for my kids. Even after we had already been together for years they still didn't sound too happy when I was pregnant with my 2nd, so with my 3rd I was like screw em! I'm happy and thats all that matters!
    Anonymous