Is there any point to going to the doctor?

I've been really sick since Sunday. I have an awful cold. The sore throat is so bad it keeps me awake at night. I've never had a cold this bad. I read it probably it not strep because I would have a fever and no cold symptoms. Can the doc do anything for a cold? I don't want to waste my money for them to confirm a cold the not be able to do anything. I'm so miserable and getting desperate since this is day 6.

LilMsTiff

Asked by LilMsTiff at 12:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Health

• If you dont hae a fever then your sore throut is probably from the cold and post nasal drip in tyour throat. Get a decongestant and some cough drops. But if yuou do run a fever I would go in for strep testing. GL
    Anonymous

• No, a doctor could not do anything for a cold. However, if the symptoms persist and become more severe instead of getting better (colds usually run their course in two weeks time), it may not be a cold. It is possible that you have a sinus infection which is bacterial and can be treated with antibiotics. Your doctor can do an exam to determine what type of infection he thinks that you have and prescribe antibiotics if he feels they will help. So, it may be worth it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Trying rinsing out your nasal passages and sinuses with warm salt water. Mix a little non-iodized salt in a glass of warm water. Lean over the sink and sniff up the water. Spit it out. Continue. Gargle with the solution, also. Do this every few hours. Lately I've been using a Netipot that I bought at a pharmacy and the solution packets that came with it. It is more convenient, but you can make your own solution and don't need the Netipot. If you start having chest congestion, for sure you should go to the doctor. Try the rinse system to get control of the post nasal drip. If you don't notice improvement in about a day, your throat less sore, or you are spitting out a lot of thick discolored mucus, then get checked by a doctor. I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 1:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• you might try to find a cold med that is for sore throats and will help you sleep. if you are coughing, maybe something with a cough suppressant since the coughing, esp. if dry, will just agitate it. but going to the doc is probably pointless since your'e right, they won't do much for a cold. hope you feel better soon.
    IUchick23

Answer by IUchick23 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009