Help...trying to get a dog.

So we are trying to get another dog. We have a Corgi/Blue Heeler that is two and we're thinking about getting another dog. We had a cat and they LOVED each other but our cat passed a few months ago.

I'm looking at a Australian Shepherd/ Blue Heeler or a Lab/ terrier mix.

Anyone have any advice or know about any of the breeds. I know with mixed dogs it's hard to tell but just need anything you know about animals.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 12:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Check out your local shelter. Lots of wonderful dogs looking for good homes!
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No...both of these dogs are actually at the shelter. I just want to know more pros and cons.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Just remember that if one is good, two doesn't mean it just blends in well. Each dog will have their own "personality". Keep your first dog in first position, until they decide who's alpha. Feed dog 1 first. Let dog 1 keep his bed. Let dog 1 keep his toys, etc. Just let them (and don't freak out) work out their positions amongst themselves. Usually it's the people that cause the problems between dogs.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anonymous

• okay, well the aussie/blue is gonna want a big yard to run around, as an aussie is a herding breed, but usually with a milder temperament (calmer). The lab/terrier is more than likely to be a little hyper depending on the age, as labs and terriers both tend to be a little stir crazy sometimes, especially the younger they are. That's about all I got :)
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If your looking for a companion for your pet i would recomend that you let your pet deciede who it want's. Let your local shelter know that you interested in adoping and see if they will let you bring in your dogs to see how it get's along with with it's potential companions. your pet will let you know who it wants.
    Anonymous

• I had an aussie growing up. She has LOTS of energy, loved to JUMP. They make great frisbee dogs and are very high energy. They will need lots of room ro run and play and lots of walks. I've heard very good things about aussies being good with kids. While mine died before I had my baby, she was good with me in high school and college.

I have a lab mix now. He too has lots of energy and need exercise, but not nearlys as much as my aussie did. He's got a very good temperment and is very patient with my daughter. I know labs are a good child dog.

Unfortunetly, I"m not too familiar with the blue heeler or the terrier side. I'd recommend taking any kids and current pets with you to meet the new dogs and see how they interact. I actually picked my lab b/c the shelter brought him out to play with a nother dog so we could see how the animals interacted. He was much better behaved and calmer.
    Anonymous

• We had a full blodded australian shepherd that was wonderful with my son. We got him when he was 18 months old and that dog was his protector. I also agree with the other mom, local shelters have great dogs. We adopted our second one from the shelter. he is a 2 year old golden retriever.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i have an australian sheperd that i keep at my moms.. long story.. but she is GREAT with kids!! shes calm and playful.. she just needs a lot of room to run.

emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 2:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Visit this site for info on Lab/Terrier Mixes:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/b/bostonlab.htm
    And check this one out for info on Austrailian Shp/Blue Heeler Mixes:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/texasheeler.htm
    Hope this was helpful!
    Anonymous