Going to bed by himself?

Ever since my son was born I have either rocked him or layed down with him to fall asleep,now he is almost 4 does anyone have any suggestion on how I can get him to go to sleep alone?Ive tried sitting by the door and then walking out when I thought he was sleeping and he crys so hard?Any ideas

trevorsmom92305

Asked by trevorsmom92305 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know you may not like the idea but it could be time for some tough love. It will take a while for him to get used to being alone while he sleeps but in the end it will be worth it.
    Anonymous

• Yeah you made it harder on yourself waiting this long. He is going to cry and really unless you still want to rock him to sleep there is nothing else to do but let him. If he gets up go lay him back down and walk back out. Just know he is ok, just trying to get his way, and he knows his crying hits a nerve and you dont want him to be sad and upset, so he does it. But he will be ok in the long run. Stay consistent though, if you give in, it will only reinforce the behavior, you gotta be ready to really do it or it will be no good.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Do you not want to rock him anymore or are you wanting to stop because you feel pressure from someone else? My son is 2 and I still rock him to sleep at night. I had a lot of pressure from some "friends" saying that they couldn't believe he didn't just go to sleep on his own. Well, he can. He does it at daycare. But the way I see it, he is only young once. It won't be long and he won't want me to be in there with him. He isn't going to be in college and need me to stay in the dorm with him. My mother stayed in bed with me until I fell asleep. This went on until I was probably 7 and then I told her I could do it myself. As far as how to stop, I don't know. But make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009