When is a good time to quit breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After 12 months. I waited until my son was 13 months.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When the child is ready for it. If you feel you MUST wean, not before they turn 1 year old otherwise you would just put them on formula and that's not a good alternative to breast milk, if you can nurse.

The AAP says 1 year MINIMUM, the WHO says a 2 year minimum.

My daughter self weaned at 21 months. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When the child is done.

Really, it is different for every family.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Whenever you and the child are ready.

Or, if you feel you need to smoke or drink.
    Anonymous

• I had planned on trying to breastfeed until 6mos, longer if I could keep it up. But I'm a full-time college studend (in a VERY demanding program), and I could just not keep up with the pumping. And then he started sleeping through the night, and there was no way I was going to get up 2 times a night (if I didn't have to). So I slowly dried up.
    So he was EXCLUSIVELY breastfed for his first 5wks, ( I was attending classes from home, online) and then got pumped BM & formula for 2wks, then was strictly formula. He started eating cereal IN his bottle around 8wks or so...then after about a week or so of that, he started to eat it...and he now gets fruit in his cereal or fruit alone.
    He's now 4 1/2 months.
    He's still thriving VERY well! He's bigger than most his age (who were around his birthweight & some that were bigger!).
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Whenever you feel is best for you and your child. The aap and who don't know you or your child, so in my opinion they have no say over my life or my child's. I refuse to raise my children by someone else's guidelines.

I hope to go until a year- but I am pregnant so the chances of my milk drying up are quite high.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When they start Junior high. Remember, the rest of the world nurses until their children are ready to have children of their own. Don't deny your 10 year old any bitty. Then you're a bad mother.
    Anonymous

• Follow baby's cues and both of you will benefit greatly. As others have said for 'full benefits' it is recommended to breastfeed until at least a year old but preferably two.

Anonymous

• IMO it's a negotiation between mom and baby. Some moms can let baby self-wean. There are all sorts of factors that go in to nursing... work situation, how easy/difficult nursing has been for you, your child's personality. I wanted to nurse my first for at least 12 months but she self-weaned at 11 months (I was pregnant). My baby now I think I would like to nurse even longer than a year... Do what you can, in theory the longer the better, but only you (in consultation with your baby, of course) can decide when's the right time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When baby is ready. That has nothing to do witht he calendar.

BUT...if you quit before one year you must switch to formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2009