scared to death

so they have been telling me my baby is on the small side since about 28wks we are now 36wks 4days. i had a drs apt yesturday to check on babys weight gain again just to make sure he was gaining weight he was only 4lbs 9oz thats the same thing he was 2weeks ago. So they send me over for a NST which was good baby is still very active and his heart rate was great. everything on the ultrasound looks good fluid levels are good his kidneys, heart, lungs look great but hes tiny. So they think its uterin growth restriction where the baby isnt growing for some reason and they want to deliver him monday by c section. Im so scared something is wrong with my little guy and they just dont know what it is. Anyone have a tiny baby at 37wks and them be just fine?

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine supposedly came at 36 weeks ( I thought 38, doctors thought 36) and he was about 4 lbs 13 oz. Today he is married with children of his own. Hugs to you and prayers for a healthy baby for you, too. :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Try not to worry to much. My friends little girl was born at 39 weeks and weighed only 5lbs and 1 ounce. she was perfectly healthy baby and now at 5 years old she's a fun, healthy, force to be reconed with. LOL.
    Anonymous

• If I were you, knowing what I know about c-sec's,adn stuff, I would ask for a steriod shot for the baby's lungs to develope more, and another ultrasound before the day to get a second opinion. Ultrasounds can be off by weight, so it is possible that he did grow and they are just measuring different. I would make sure to get another ultrasound. 37 weeks is considered full term by alot of Dr's, but it is still kind of early. But there is no reason that the baby shouldnt be okay, just may need some extra attention for a little while when born. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• he is sending me to a specialist today for a second ultra sound to double check. iv been to this guy befor at 31weeks and the measurments where the same as the drs office so they have all been pretty close but they did say they could be off by a 1lb in either direction. the dr said his lungs where fine and i wouldnt need the shot. he said smaller babies do really well out side because usually they have been stressed on the inside so they develope alittle quicker then bigger babies.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I hope you have a healthy baby, and I think everything will be fine! If he isn't growing, it probably has nothing to do with him and delivering may be the best thing if your body can no longer support him. However, I do agree that ultrasounds and other "weighing" methods can be way off. My daughter was predicted at 7 pounds and she came out at 9 and a half. And I know of a lady who was told her baby was HUGE (possibly ten pounds) and it came out at around seven and a half. They don't know.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• im 37 weeks and a few days and my baby is only measuring out to be around 5LBS 12oz and the ultrasound said give or take 14oz

so she might be in the 6 pounds or still in the 4 pounds...its normal though i think..if your a small person and/or your bf/hubby is too, then it should be normal thats what my doc said..
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 12:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• they are not always right.my sisters doc told her her baby was gonna weigh 6lbs.she only weighed 4lbs 14onces.with my 2nd they told me he was gonna be 3lbs i had him 6 weeks early.he was 5lbs 3onces.he was healthy and i went home the next day.
    Anonymous

• You know what, it is REALLY hard to accurately measure a baby's size while it is in utero. It's a good thing to get a second opinion. It's easy for me to tell you to not worry, but I know that it's hard advice for you to follow, but truly: you and your baby will be OK. 37 weeks is not too early. Good luck.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• One of my friend's had a similar situation. Her baby was born at 40 weeks and a little over 5 libs. Her problem was her placenta. It had started deteriorating. Both her and her baby are fine, as I am sure you will be.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 3:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009