smoking while breastfeeding?

how is this better for your child than formula? is there not toxins in cigarettes that can go through the breast milk? and if you are smoking in your home around your child how is that good for them or while you are breast feeding? i am just a little confused.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 12:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, remember...breastfeeding is always best lol
    Anonymous

• haven't really heard of people that smoke while breatfeeding. Nor have I ever heard anyone say it is better than using formula
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yeah if you smoke you should formula feed, or better yet QUIT SMOKING!!!
    Anonymous

• It may sound crazy, but it has been shown that it is better for a child of a smoker to be breast fed then for a child of a smoker to be formula fed. Google it, I'm sure you will find the information you are looking for. Of course, it's best to quit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• but the more cigarettes you smoke the more toxins you have in your milk, like if you are a chain smoker.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• breast is always best--even if you're on crack! LOL
    Anonymous

• I would say that if you are feeding a child AND smoking, it wouldn't really matter if you were feeding them breastmilk or formula. Or I'd see the two "evils" as being about equal. If you're BFing them, they're being exposed to a small amount of the toxins from smoking BUT still getting the bennefits of BFing. If you're formula feeding, they're not getting any of the toxins that they would have from the breastmilk BUT they're not getting the bennefits of breastmilk either.

On top of that, formula feeding and BFing, at least at first, causes you to hold the child close to you. They're still being exposed to the "third-hand-smoke" which are the toxic chemicals that seep into the smoker's clothes, skin, hair and nails (and wood, fabric and absorbent surfaces inthe home). I say neither BFing NOR FFing while smoking is better than the other. The smoker should quit. PERIOD.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree November.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anon 1:32, Breast isn't best if you're on crack. I know many people think breast feeders are so gung ho about nursing that we will say everything is safe.... but we're not crazy. There have been studies about cigarette smoking and breastfeeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• What about marijuana? Do you think it's ok to get high while breastfeeding? Letting the munchkins catch a buzz?
    Anonymous