Has your exteneded family ever taught your child something you wish they wouldnt have?

My mom thought it woould be funny to teach my 2 yr old to say "fart" its not that bad but still i really prefer toot.. so now i have to unteach it ..grr

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• my mom and 3 yrold were watching a movie and my mom said "she's dying" Idk, I just think she is too young to hear that.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yes and i don't like the word either!! My kids all say toot and will as long as they are in my house!
    AmandaA

Answer by AmandaA at 12:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I went to my mom's house for three weeks. My sisters are 17 and 18 and say "huh" and "ya" ALL the time. It drove me crazy while I was out there. When I got home, guess what little man picked up?

There was days when I wanted to reach through the phone and smack my sisters... 6 weeks later, I've got him back to saying "yes" and "excuse me" like I taught him to begin with.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my sister in law taught my nephew how to suck his thumb it took him years to break that habit.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my mother and stepfather.. my dd's grandparents.. taught her how to push a chair to the counter and reach for stuff. i am having THE hardest time breaking her of that and they think its just so cute. ugh!!
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 1:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No but I'm POSITIVE that it will become an issue someday soon.

It is a shame when people, such as grandparents, go ahead and teach your kid something that you don't want the kid doing or saying. In order to break them of the habit you literally have to tell the kid that "grandma was wrong." Now, how are you going to teach them respect for adults and to listen to adults...but tell them (or insinuate to them) that grandma was wrong about something? It's nearly impossible.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Where should I start? It isn't just one thing, they think he is their child and I am a bad mom that disciplines her child, teaches him manners and respect. Expects him to get good grades, do homework, etc. That I let my ex boyfriend/SO take my son everyother weekend, he may not be Ty's dad but he has been there for him for 3 yrs and acts like his dad. My family (and I use that lightly) told my son that his grades are not important and homework should come after his family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my inlaws are allways telling our kids that milk is bad and its going to make them sick when they grow up... it really irritates me... but my oldest doesn't seem to pay much attention and the other ones are to little to understand.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh, my dad is horrible. Luckily its nothing really bad, just obnoxious little crap like "pull my finger" jokes and stuff.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• No, not really. Other than giving them candy, they are fairly respectful of my wishes. My inlaws let my husband have all the candy he wanted growing up and I was not allowed to have candy except on special occasions. They don't think much of it and I cant stand it. When I took my kids to the dentist about 4 yrs ago, one of them had several cavities and my son had to have 2 teeth capped. I was furious. I make them brush religiously, so I don't know if it was ALL about eating candy at g-mas and g-pas but the expense was infuriating. I have never had more than 3 cavities in my LIFE. My neice and nephew had 7 at one time so something was definitely going awry. I asked them to not give them skittles or starbursts anymore except at easter. Thats the only thing they have continued to do. My husband is just as bad.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009