my 15 year old daughter might drive me out of the house

She thinks it is ok to talk back, tell me hold on if I am in the middle of chatting woth her and she decides something interest her better, not pick up after herself and if I tell her to she tells me in a minute which turns into hours, wants to get her learners permit but I told it is a privaledge and when she learns to respect us and act appropriate she will get it and she tells me No I will get it this week and walks aways. I must of done something correct as when she is over other peoples house she is an angle so Im told.. she tells me all TEENAGERS ACT THIS WAY. HELP!!!

angelbird

Asked by angelbird at 12:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well she does it because you let her get away with it. As for her driving permit, good luck to her getting it without you or daddy. I would start taking away ALL her things and she can earn them back 1 at a time.

Anonymous

• tell her she is your daughter and you dont care how other kids act because she isn't going to act like that with you... honestly if you are that fed up with it you need to go old school on her.. take away everything and make her earn it... and bring back time out... she's fighting to be the controller of the household and the more you just wait for change the harder it will be
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• All teenagers do act this way, especially towards the mother. I honestlywouldnt allow her to get her permit until she knocks that shit off, and laugh in her face when she tells you she IS getting her permit. ; ]
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Typical teenage attitude. Still not acceptable though. What I would do is take her phone away if she talks back and or ground her if she doesn't listen.
    Anonymous

• I think it is typical behavior my 15 son, acts like that at times but he know that he has to do what is asked or he gets nothing. I am trying to teach him that you must give to get. We go to jobs to get paycheck...... But I know it is hard I was once where you are and then decided to get tough and start taking things away. You want computer time?? What are you going to do for me. Its working. I don't nag I just give instructions to be done by a certain time and if it is not then no "nothing". At 15 they should not be told more than once. I think the hardest part is not giving in because it is easier. Good Luck
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• GROUND HER ASS!!! No more TV, No more Ipod. No more computer. NADA!! You are the mom, she needs to listen to you. Tell her if she isn't going to help around the house, do what is expected of her she won't be driving until she's 18 and out on her own. It's a privilage not a right. Remind her that you are the one who will be giving her lessons, gas money, maybe even a car. and that if she wants those things she needs to show respect. and that if she is going to act like a spoiled brat, then you are going to treat her like one, and all freedom, privligaes she has now are gone. Her life will consist of school, homework, dinner, studying then bed. Nothing else. No friends, no phone calls, no texting.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 10:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yes it's typical, but why would you be the one leaving that house?? Yes, a bit of attitude is normal, but it doesn't mean they can freeload. Its your house, its your rules I agree with the other answers... clarify the rules, the punishment and put them in place. That seems alot less extreme then you leaving the house, no?
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 1:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sounds like she is better than I was at 15. I was way worse with my mom. I did what I wanted, when I wanted & how I wanted. I was a disrespecful brat, I will admit that. At 16, my mom passed away. I felt terrible for how disrespectful I was to her. But daughters and moms are like that. Girls that age are stuck in the middle. Mid life crisis OMG like TOTALLY!! They just want to be older than what they are. All they really care about is their social life; not home life.
    jocemiah

Answer by jocemiah at 4:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would sit down and talk to her about the way she is acting and let her know the consequences of her actions and the way that it makes you feel. Talking would be the best answer. If she does not listen right away, she will remember it in the long run. Hopefully you two can resolve your problems and become closer. Good luck!
    jocemiah

Answer by jocemiah at 4:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I thank everyone for the answers. I guess I should of stated that she does not have her TV, Phone, or any other fun thing, her room has her bed, dresser and some of her personal items. As for her drivers lic. the school system hel0ped me witht that one as they said she missed to many days in 8th grade so she has to wait. the last couple of days have been slightly better. but the mess, and not caring-- I dont know how mothers do it??
    angelbird

Answer by angelbird at 11:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009