My 3 1/2 year old

My son will be 4 in september.He has been going to preschool since 3.I am having a hard time getting him to caount and say the alphabet.Also his articulation is not that great.I feel so bad cause he is keeping to himself and not socializing with other kids because of it.Is there any suggestions.I just feel so bad cause when he is at mcds or something kids talk to him and he just looks at them.He cant even says his name.

trevorsmom92305

Asked by trevorsmom92305 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keeping working with him. If you are really worried about it, ask about a speech therapists at his preschool.

Do you know anyone with kids close to his age that could play/talk with him to help develop it?
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Stay with it mom. He will get it! I made a more HIP alphebet song for my 31/2 year old son. We sing it at least once a day & we sing it more slowly & so he can here all the letters..especially when we get to L,M,N,O,P! I also bought a big alphebet puzzle & we work with it too. As far as numbers, everytime we have to walk stairs, we count the steps as we are walking & he loves to count how many he walks up. The more step, the more numbers he learns. Make it fun for you & him both & you will watch him learn it quicker if he's enjoying himself. Good luck!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Have you considered having him evaluated since he's not speaking? You working with him is great, but if he is eligible for some services (speech therapy) it would help him a LOT.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You may be jumping to the conclusion that one is related to the other. not all 3.5 are able to communicate at the level you seem to be expecting. each child develops at their own rate. My 3.5 year old also turns 4 in sep. He speaks very little and what he does speak is hard to understand. We work with him one on one with this speach. He can count, but abc's are a work in progresss. But when out with other kids, he doesn't speak at all... but that doesn't stop him from socializing and playing. He may not be talking, but he is allways right in the middle of all the fun. Your son may just be shy and reserved because he is shy and reserved.... not because of his speech.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• At 3.5 I would go ahead and have him evaluated. Its one of those things that can't hurt and if there is an issue y'all can get help and professional pointers now and then by the time he starts school he'll have already had the help to catch up.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009