How do I divide time to 3 kids?

I have three kids. My girls are 10 and 8. I also have a 6 week old boy. Most of my time is with the baby. I feel bad because I don't get as much time with my girls. My 8 year old thinks I just care about the baby. Any advice on how I can divide my time between them all?

amyrufft

Asked by amyrufft at 12:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• First you have to explain that the baby NEEDS more of your time. It's not that you love them less than the baby, but that baby can't feed itself, dress itself... nothing.

Is there any way you could leave the baby with someone? Go out for lunch together, go shopping, see a movie. Let them pick what you do.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Do you have a husband in the home? If so you can ask him to watch the baby for an hour or so while you do something with the others like a board game go to the park something. Make it a point to have a special outing with just that one child to see a movie or just hang out together doing something they enjoy.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Involve them in everything if youcan. Get creative with your time, ask them to go to the grocery store with you, or any errands that you need to run take them or just one at a time, spend the time talking about them, and what they want to talk about. Get them involved in a sport and devote that time to them. I only get an hour aweek alone with my oldest son, but it means the world to him. Make any time together quality time. Make an effort when they get home from school to talk to them about their day, yu can do that while you are feeding the baby, or changing diapers too. It is hard to juggle at first, but it does get easier. Enlist any help you can with the baby to spend some time with your daughters.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You just do the best you can. Your daughters are older, explain to them that the baby needs a bit more attention for the time being but that you love them all very much.

Take time while the baby sleeps to do things with them even if its just sit and watch their favorite movie.

Have them help(if you havent already done this). Chit chat while you feed the baby or are washing him,etc.

Its quality not quantity and if you are making an effort they will know and love it.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Include the girls in everything you do for the baby... It's a good teaching tool and they need to learn to respect you. My oldest was 6 when our 2nd was born and 7 with the 3rd, he learned everything except for changing a diaper, I just couldn't make him do that,lol He's so close to his brothers now, they are 12, 6 and 5 now and are so fun to watch together... They have their moments but they are brothers so there is going to be fighting... Don't stress, the baby will get older and be easier to divide your time.. Just try and make it a group effort.. GL
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 3:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009