Is Yoga bad? (As a Christian)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ” From its inception until the present time, yoga has been an integral part of Eastern religions, now particularly Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism. Some practicers of yoga believe that it will lead them to attain moksha, or liberation, through a merging with an all-pervading spirit.
    So I ask: ‘Can yoga be practiced simply as a physical exercise to develop a healthy body and a relaxed mind, without any involvement with religion?’ In view of its background, the answer would have to be no.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Why would yoga be bad for a christian?
    I am christian &I dnt see anything wrong with it
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• why would be christian have anything to do with it ? anyone can do yoga.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Sadly, even professing Christians have bought into this lie. Every Yoga teacher is, in effect, a Hindu or Buddhist missionary, even though "he or she may wear a cross, insist that Jesus was a great Yogi, and protest that Yoga is not a religion, but science. This is the most blatant of lies. Yet it has been so widely proclaimed and believed that in America's public schools, beginning in kindergarten and in almost every other area of society today, Yoga and other forms of Hindu-Buddhist occultism are taught and accepted as science. In contrast, Christianity has been thrown out of the schools and is being crowded out of every other area of life in the 'broad-minded' move to replace religion with the New Age 'science'!"

OP: (from a site I found)...just wondered what others thought. I've never done Yoga before.
    Anonymous

• Are you serious? That's ridiculous.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yoga is a way to help center yourself. Its great exercise too.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Who cares who teaches it?
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 1:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm a Christian woman. I read an article in Today's Christian Woman magazine regarding yoga and did a little bit of research afterwards. Personally, after reading the article and doing my own research I do not participate, nor allow my children, to participate in yoga. And they are right, in kindergarten and first grade my son's physical movement class (aka gym) was doing yoga. My son came home and told me and said that he sat it out. The teacher called me the next day and I stated our views and beliefs as a Christian family and ask that our son be excused from participating in the two week segment. She agreed.

ALL YOGA IS HINDU. Every move is based on something in the Hindu religion. Even professional yoga instructors have been quoted as saying that all yoga is hindu. BUT with that said, I think it's like anything else a Christian faces....you need to step back, pray, and see what God wants you to do...cont.
    Anonymous

• HISTORY OF YOGA:The origin of the word “yoga” is related to that of the English word “yoke.” It can mean to join or yoke together or to bring under a yoke, to harness or control. To a Hindu, yoga is a technique or a discipline that leads to union with a great supernatural force or spirit. It has been described as “the yoking of all the powers of body, mind and soul to God.”
    How far back in history can yoga be traced? Figures of people seated in various yoga positions appear on seals found in the Indus Valley, in present-day Pakistan. The Indus Valley civilization is dated by archaeologists to between the third and the second millenniums B.C.E., very close in time to the Mesopotamian culture. Artifacts from both areas portray a man, representing a deity, crowned with animal horns and surrounded by animals, reminiscent of Nimrod, the “mighty hunter.” (Genesis 10:8, 9)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• The Hindus claim that the figures sitting in yoga positions are images of the god Siva, lord of the animals and lord of yoga, who is often worshiped through the lingam, a phallic symbol. Thus, the book Hindu World calls yoga “a code of ascetic practices, mainly pre-Aryan in origin, containing relics of many primitive conceptions and observances.”
    The methods of yoga were at first handed down orally. Then they were put into detailed, written form by the Indian yogic sage Patañjali as the Yoga Sutra, which remains the basic instruction book of yoga. According to Patañjali, yoga is “a methodical effort to attain perfection, through the control of the different elements of human nature, physical and psychical.”
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009