I need help.....

My daughter is 19 mos gonna be 20 mos soon. I'm trynna get her off the bottle now. She'll only have one before she goes to bed and when she wakes up. I've tried giving her a sippy instead and she was not having it and just kept throwing it. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you're the boss... get rid of the bottles completely, cold turkey. assure her that big girls do not use bottles and just don't give in. It may be a rough 2-3 days, but you'll get through it.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 1:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Put water in it every night and leave it alone. It would be kind of cruel to take it away at this point.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Put water, then she'll stop wanting it.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Will she drink her milk out of anything else other times a day? Because she does still need milk. I had better luck with a straw sippy cup than the traditional one, so you may try that. Munchkin makes a good one that's BPA free. I think these things work best cold turkey, too. Kids put up a fight, of course, but they adapt if given no other choice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my dd just went cold turkey she was like that wanting it at nap time and bed time then one of her cousins came to stay with us for a week and he kept her distracted all the time and she never asked for it again....but her dr suggested the water thing before that to put 1/4 water and rest milk then next bottle do half and half then 1/4 milk rest water until it was all waterand she wouldn't want it but it didn't really work for my daughter she screamed until she got all milk lol but the distraction thing worked pretty well
    Anonymous

• Throw away the bottle. give her the sippy. if she throws it, then okay, put her to bed without it. She won't starve to death, and she will learn quickly that if she wants her milk before bed, then she has to take the sippy.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My daughter was the same, except she had a bottle in the morning, nap, and bed. Oh, and she was 26 months (yikes). I started with the morning bottle. I distracted her by telling her I needed her to help me make breakfast. I would give her breakfast to her with Orange Juice in a straw cup (she hated sippy cups). The nap time and bed time was a bit harder. I started putting less formula in them and then switched the nipples to #1. Then I started trying to give her formula in her straw cup. She would not take it, "milk only goes in bottles." Anyway I started giving her her straw cup filled with ice water. She would ask for a bottle now and then but eventually gave up. The only downside is she has not drank and milk since her last bottle.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 4:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009