My breastfed baby drank formula.

I'm NOT against people formula feeding their babies, but my DD is EBF and I'm babysitting for my friend's DD today. While I was changing the other baby's diaper, I didn't notice, but my DD picked up her bottle and started drinking it. I'm not going to lie, it hurt my feelings a little that she drank formula. About 30 mins. later, I breastfed my DD since she was hungry. Now, she's thrown up like 3 times. Is this normal?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she drank the bottle then you bf her , she may have gotten too full & puked... alot of moms breastfeed & supplement with formuls, it shouldn't make her sick
    Anonymous

• Normal ~ sort of. When you introduce something different (or when she introduces it LOL!) it may cause such a reaction. I would throw up too if I drank formula. ; ) I bet she doesn't try that again.

Anonymous

• why would that hurt your feelings, shes a baby she didn't know she was drinking formula. pp is probably right, just overfed. Unless that formula was sitting out more then an hour. Formula is supposed to be fully drank or thrown out after an hour.
    Anonymous

• It could be she ate too much.

Depending on how old she is, it may have upset her stomach having formula for the first time. Especially if she drank a lot of it.

Has your friend's girl been sick recently?
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with the pp's.. However, because it is new to her, she may have thrown it up for that reason too, it just didn't sit right...
    Anonymous

• Formula poisoning! Just kidding! I'm sure she's fine. Don't be hurt. My EBF daughter took a swig of my luke-warm coffee the other day when I wasn't looking. I guess that makes me a bad mom... but in retrospect it's at least a little funny, right?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• LOL

It could be the over full thing, or she could be a little sensitive to the dairy or soy(since it's straighter in the formula then it is in your BM).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• That LOL was at the PP not OP
    Arisce

• OMG it is the end of the world
    Anonymous