normal for a toddler?

okay my son is like out of control. he's two and four months. he wont listen. he cries over everything. you tell him to stop and he start to cry even louder. you send him to bed and he cries for about three hours before he finally stop. he's driving me SO and i crazy we have no clue what to do. we were trying to potty train but he hates the potty he cries and cries. and my god i am so frustrated i dont know what to do. i mean i know two are terrible but are they this bad?? what should i do?/

i've tried like the corner. i've tried time-out. i've tried talking. i even tried spanking. and none of it work it makes it worst.. i need some help here!!

HELP ME!!

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a tough age. It's developmentally necessary for him to start asserting his independence. Try giving him limited choices (this or this) so he has some say in the things he does/eats/etc, but don't offer a choice when there is none. (Don't say, "Do you want to get your jacket on so we can go to the store?" when saying no isn't an option). Try to save the word "No" for those things that are really dangerous or naughty, and other than that try correcting his behavior by telling him with a positive statement what he SHOULD be doing. This cuts down on some of the antagonism you may be feeling.

Also, if he's in a particularly defiant phase, it may not be the best time for potty training... I'd put it away for a little while and try again later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Consistency. pick one, and do it EVERY TIME. No matter what. Finish the punishment, stand strong and he will eventually get the point.

As for the potty training, back off for a while, leave the potty where it is and put a favorite stuffed animal there and talk about how proud you are b/c teddy is using the big potty and doesn't have to wear diapers. Make a big deal over teddy. Then in a few weeks, try him again.

2 year olds can be a HUGE handfull, and it feels as though your parenting is doing no good, but it is, its just hard to see it right now.

Any other issues with ds, how is his speech and other behavior?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• thank you. you know we started with the time-out and we tried it for about 3 months and it didnt work, then we tried spanking for about the same amount and nothing seems to work. he's just over the top. if you tell him he cant have something he throws himself on the floor no matter where were at its embarrassing i feel like i'm not doing my job as a mom right. he climbs on everything and jumpps.. its just uhhhg..

as for the potty yeah we tried the teddy thing and he still doesnt want it he cries and screams whenever he get near it. uhhg idont know..

and no he's speech is good he talks very well for a two yr old complete sentences and all.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I bought my daughter a potty seat and pull ups when she turned two. The first few weeks were good she went everytime I put her on it. Then all of a sudden she would scream NO! NO! when I would go to sit her in the seat. I tried books games, singing, nothing worked. I gave up and just kept her in diapers. About three weeks ago (i gave up for about three monthes) all by herself she started taking her stool and getting on the potty her self. She gets rewarded with stickers to place on her potty stool. I kinda had to let her decide when the time was right. My child acts out real bad also, yet to figure that one out.
    jennieevlyn

Answer by jennieevlyn at 2:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yeah well my son was almost competly potty trainned but thensomething happen and he didnt want it and still doesnt. we tried the stickers for the potty any time he went and we tried.." well if you go potty you can get ice cream!" it worked once lol.. but uuuuuuhhg i dont know.. he's driving me crazy!!

THIS MOM WILL END UP IN A METAL WARD UNLESS MY SON STOPS ACTING OUT! RAWR!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• OKAY so i know how you feel. really i do i have a 3 yr old who laughs at me when i punish him. and 2 isnt even the worst of it 3 is! i have learned that first if you are married you both need to be on the same page not o i am with mommy i can do this and when i am with daddy i can do that! make a plan now with the dad. so there is NO excuses of why the punishment was not consistant! make sure your child has a routine they need this the most. make sure that the two of you (being the parents) dont correct one another infront of each other. I found that my husband was doing that and it inpowered my child to think, well mommy doesnt know what she is doing so he started direspecting me! we have now done a reward system and it works!be patient it get better!! with potty traing dont force it!they will hate it, fyi boys take longer! yes annoying but not every child is the same dont compare it to another child, it will drive you crazy!
    pinklady09

Answer by pinklady09 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• consistancy... and pick your battles. perhaps his behavior trumps potty trainign? I would put the potty training on the back burner till you get a handle on his behavior. We have a cry chair. My second used to cry over everything... and that is now a thing of the past, and if he starts to whine... he puts himeslf in the cry chair till he is done. Its just a chair in the laundry room...its away from all the activity, quiet.. and well boring. They throw a fit, they go into the chair.. they can come out whenever they are done. But the very momment they start to whine or throw a fit, they are sent to the chair... This worked with all of my kids very quickly... by the end of week two, they would catch themselves before they started to whine and stop.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Generally, the months around 2.5 are some of the worst. Since he is in such a huge negative phase right now, I'd put away the potty training for a couple months. Deal with the other behaviors, make sure he knows what is and isn't allowed and is comfortable with those rules and punishments before starting again.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• ok! so potty training is on hold. now let me master the behavior but how..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son is 3 and I have the same problem with him crying and throwing fits over everything! Even if he asks for a drink and I say hold on a sec because my hands are full he throws a fit, I've also tried everything. I don't know..........................
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 4:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009