Mastitis or plugged duct?

I'll be going to the doctor on Monday, but, just wanted to know if anyone had mastitis without your breast being red or swollen. I suddenly developed pain in my left breast and it's tender to the touch but there are no external symptoms to indicate something is wrong only the strong pain I have inside my breast. Oh and I am still breastfeeding despite the pain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I GOT MASTITIS AND I REMEBER MY BOOB WAS REALLY BIG AND THE MILK WOULDNT COME OUT AND IT WAS REALLY HARD AND I HAD A FEVER? I DUNNO IF THAT HELPS
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 1:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I had that when I was b.f. and I took several showers with HOT HOT water and let it run right over my breast. I also tried to massage it under the water despite the pain. After about a day or two of doing this I felt it release and milk began to flow easier, it was still sore and painful for another day or two but my blockage was gone.

You can also use a heating pad, but doing this makes you leak milk a lot so I thought it was easier in the shower.

Mastistis is an infection and usually you run a temp and feel bad all over, like you are sick.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Wow do I have a mastitis story! A few days after my milk came in I had a pain in my breast. I called after a few days when redness developed to the nurses line at our military hospital I was told its probably just a clogged duct. Then told me stuff I could do at home. The pain got worse the redness got owrse I went to the dr. He said you probably have an infection. Gave me some antibiotics. I waited a week and a half more pain more redness. It was awful went back to the dr he said he dosent know why its not working ect. I was sent home he must have consulted with another dr because the head of gyno called me in and said get in today we want to do an ultrasound yep it turned out to be a bad one probably got worse all the waiting I had to do. I had to have it cut and drained the next day. They didnt even put me under the pain was unreal! I hope yours is just a clogged duct!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• To okmommy08...wow that's some story and that's horrible they didn't put you under! Thanks everyone for your answers they helped.

Anonymous

• It sounds like it is a clogged duct but it can become mastitis if it isn't resolved. I tried all the tricks that were given when I had one. The olny thing that worked was "dangle nursing." I laid my baby on the bed and dangled my breast over him and let him nurse. You let gravity do the work to drain the breast. Here is a website with home remedies for both: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2009