MY DOG KILLED HER FIRST PUPPY my dog had 9 puppys all together but killed the first one. i dont know if she did it on purpose or she got scared and accidently killed it .Has this happened b4 and what might have been the cause? i was told that maby she new something was wrong with the puppy but i feel like maby we should have just ignored her sand let her be.

I was going into my home and i heard crying so i looked and there was a puppy al alone crying and it was pretty cold outside and well i was excited so i called every1 and then my husband grabed the puppy and put it ear our dog becasue we were told to put the uppys to feed but instead the dog grabbed the puupy in her mouth and dropped it and it rolled and then my husband tried grabbing it again and the dog just took it in her mouth and wouldnt let go the puppy died and well we all sad just wen t to bed and woke up at 4 because she had had the rest of the puppys. Do you think we killed it by touching the puppy or was there something probably really wrong with the puppy? And i thought our dog would be more agressive but she isnt at all is that also weird? well if ytou try and take her puppys and its not my husband she stands up but nothing more and iv seen other dogs that you cant even look at cuz they growling (my dogs a pitbul)

chukuku

Asked by chukuku at 1:39 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Sometimes moms kill the weakest puppy
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 1:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• This isn't uncommon.  Some mothers will kill a puppy (or even several puppies) if they sense that something is wrong with the pup/s.  As mentioned above, some mom dogs will kill the weakest/smallest pup.  Mom dogs can sense if there is a problem with a puppy.  I've breed dogs for years, and have had this happen several times.
    I've never had a dog kill her pups just because they were handled by people.  I handle all my pups from the second they are born.
    Some moms just aren't cut out to have puppies.  I also had a female that killed her 1st litter during the night (she had 7pups, and she killed them all for no apparent reason).

Your dog may have done this for any number of reasons!

Anonymous

• Call me a nut, but I firmly believe that an animal doesn't kill their young maliciously (unlike humans). That there is an underlying valid reason for them doing so (that we don't know). I'm not sure if it was on here or on thecatsite (i go there alot) but someone told me they had a cat who ignored her kittens...and they thought something was wrong with the MOTHER. So, they bottle fed them, and they still died, one by one.
    Animals know when something is not right and it is in their nature to eat/kill their young when they see fit.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• sometimes they know how much they can handel and feed she might have thought that she didnt have enough milk to feed that puppie. or that puppie might have been the weakest puppie and found it better to kill it rather than let it starve and die.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• "I've never had a dog kill her pups just because they were handled by people. I handle all my pups from the second they are born."

Yes dogs dont do this- however cats are known to.
    Anonymous

• i agree that there was probably something wrong with the pup and thats why she did it. I wouldnt worry that you touched them too early, when my dog gave birth, after she cleaned them off i placed them on the nipple if they were going the wrong way since they are blind and find the nipple based on scent
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thank you for all your answers and my dog had 11 pauppies all together so maby thats why she killed the first so that the other ten could each have a nipple? Thank you
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 11:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It is not uncommon, let mother nature take it's course. Animals are more aware of what is going on then people give them credit for.
    Anonymous

• May have been the runt, I know my cowdog has the same ordeal, every time she whelps. Usually, with her, if it's going to happen, it's either the first that came out or the last the came out that she ends up killing. It's definitely not a malicious thing, it has to be for health reasons, maybe the puppy was too weak, or spent too long in the birthing canal and wouldn't have made it anyway? I'm no expert, but I've got a little experience, and it is completely natural.

As well, it's natural for your dog to allow you to "look" at her and touch her babies. Just like people, some mommies don't get upset at others playing with their babies. Especially if this is her first litter, she hasn't had a bad experience to respond any other way. So just make sure that when you're there with the puppies that she always has a pleasant experience. Puppy starts whining and mom wants him back, show him to her, "It's OK, really!"
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Many animals kill one or two of their babies if they know they are going to have a big litter, or if they know their is something wrong with the baby. Mammals will naturally have as many babies as they do teats (nipples) so if she only has 8 nipples and knew she was having a big litter she may have killed one to ensure that she could take care of all the rest.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 2:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2009