what do think of mothers like this?

My neice is going to, if she doesn't already have a complex about her body. She is not overweight, and her mother makes rude comments to her. Like o she's gotten so large we had to go buy her new clothes, cause her belly doesn't fit in them anymore. What is wrong with people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate hearing that! Honestly what mother would even think of saying things like that to their daughter! And even if they are overweight and need to lose some pounds, then the parent needs to be the one to make sure their kids are getting enough exercise and eating right. But if there is no need to lose weight? That's just sad.
    Anonymous

• I could see shes growing up so she needs new clothes. Or those clothes are getting too small, lets go get some new ones.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• OOPS hit post too soon.

Thats what we tell our son when he needs new clothes. And it is never because of his belly. He is quite thin. BMs boyfriend is really big and she allows the kids to tease him for it. SS can see how it hurts him and is now concerned that he is fat. She once told SS that he was gonna be a big boy, maybe as big as her boyfriend (who isn't SS's dad). He is going to be tall, and I think that was what BM meant, but she worded it wrong and SS was really upset.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think that there's something wrong with the mother. It isn't the child's fault if the child is getting large. Children need GUIDANCE towards good food choices. What is her mom feeding her? Is she sabatoshing a naturally higher metabolism of a child by filling her with junk, fast food, pre-packaged or ready made foods out of convenience? What is her mom doing to check the processed foods, refined sugars and excess sodium she might be feeding her daughter? If my kid was noticeably overweight, I wouldn't point it out, I would take them to a doctor and find out what was making them overweight. Is it my cooking that needs adjustment or does my child have an illness that needs to be addressed that's causing weight troubles? Either way, does she have any clue that people are looking at her like she's nuts? If you think your kid is fat, stop feeding them unhealthy foods (or take them to the doctor!).

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would wait till the child was out of earshot and ask her if she is trying to mess up her kid emotionally.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My aunt never eats because she doesn't want to get fat so my cousin picked that habit up from her mom and they both weigh about 90 lbs if that !
    Moms shouldn't say or act like that around their kids.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You know whats funny? We never talk like that around my house because I'm so afraid my kids will end up worried like that. I hate my weight but I don't point it out in front of my kids. But the wierdest thing is, my daughter who's 5 and weighs all of like 35lbs, said that her thighs are FAT! I was like wth? I said no sweetie, that's muscle and muscle is VERY pretty!!! But for some reason she said she hates it. I don't know where she got this from. Also, I was talking to my husband on the phone and he was talking about getting this peanut butter cereal and I told him no because those tend to have a lot of fat in them. And she heard me and goes...I wont eat it, I don't want to get fat. Its crazy!
    4littlepiggies4

Answer by 4littlepiggies4 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• BM? SS? Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude or anything and I'm sure you were trying to explain something, but you lost me on the abbreviations.
    Anonymous

• my dad used to do this, and let me tell you she will be parinoid the rest of her life.... it is wrong really it is!!!! no parent should ever say ANYTHING about it!! if she thinks its such a problem maybe she should encourage her daughter to go on wals or be active in anything!!!!
    pinklady09

Answer by pinklady09 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• When I was around 10 I got a bit chunky. In reality, it was a normal thing, girls do that about that age, then they thin out and get breasts and hips. Unfortunately, my parents handled this turning point very very wrong. They used to tease me about my chunk, point out my posture, did an outline of me and hung it on the wall, commented about the amount of food I was eating.

Well guess what! I had issues about my weight for the rest of my life. I was anorexic for many years. I wouldn't eat, I would lie about having had a big lunch at school, we ate in home ec today, someone had a birthday cake, etc. The anorexia did damage to my body. My hair thinned out. To this day, even when I'm thin as a rail, I still see fat. Thanks Mom and Dad.
    Anonymous