Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Messed-up tax return

Has this happened to anyone else?

I just got an email from my CPA this morning--he messed up our return and needs to file the paperwork for a correction. The thing is, the mistake was not in our favor. He didn't tell me in the email how bad the mistake was, but we will have to give some of our return back--I am hoping not all of it!

We already got our return and used the money to pay off my daughter's ear tube surgery, so we don't have the cash any more. I was wondering, has this ever happened to anyone else? Should our CPA take some of the blame--ie., offer to pay part of the mistake? Or is this the liability we assume when someone else does our taxes?

And if we have to pay it all back (our return was about $1500), how do we cope? We don't use credit cards and we are a single income family.


Asked by sariejack at 1:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • I would suggest you get a second opinion on your taxes. SOON Find another CPS and have it re-done. We all make mistakes - so do your due dilegence and find out what someone else says. You can have an amendment filed with your taxes and if you now owe the IRS you will be charged penalties until it is paid off.

    If your CPA was neglegent and was just rushing through getting your taxes done then by all means let him know that he must pay part if not all of the return difference. If he is not willing to work out something with you then it is probably time to find a new CPA.

    Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

  • I don't know how that works but I'm sure you can make payments

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

  • I would tell him how disapointed you are and ask if you owe would he be willing to make up the mistake he made. If he wont I would hire someone else I know certain places guarantee their returns like H and R block ask if he does the same.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

Next question in Money & Work
on-line college

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Did your sales tax jump up?