how do i push my child from wanting to smoke weed he is in high school

we lived up in summerlin and it was bad the kids was full of money and no suppervision so my kids tried weed i finally moved cuz it was getting crazy now his grades dropped 1 kid got in trouble for selling and went yo oppertunity witch has done him some good i think it sceared him but my oldest is still smoking i can tell by his eyes i just want to help him to be better and go somewhere in life not throw it away any suggestions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes...I have a suggestion! Call a prison or boys school in your area and arrange a 'tour' !!! Let him know that this is where he will end up if he doesnt' stop his destructive behavior!! Many jails have programs for troubled teens ...just for this purpose!!

My number one rule...is don't try to be their friends!!! They don't need friends...they have friends...they need parents!!! It is not a time to be nice, fun, friendly or the good guy!!! This is the time to share some 'tough love' with him...before it is too late!!!

You can also call a drug rehab program and ask if they have any support groups. If they do ask if your son could come to a meeting and speak with some of the addicts! They will give him more tough love ...than you could EVER give him!!! They have been there and done that. ...and have already paid the price. They will be passionate about him NOT FOLLOWING IN THEIR FOOT STEPS!!

Good Luck!!!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would tell my child that he will be randomly drug tested by me and if he fails even once while he is under my roof I would get him placed in the states custody harsh I know but he is heading down a very dangerous path. I would also get him into some therapy and the therapist can steer you in the right direction as far as treatment programs and support groups.
    Anonymous

• i have a 14 yr old son that was smoking weed since he was 10 yrs old. he smoked everyday from 12 yrs old till 3 months ago. he got put in juvey july 28 and got out on sept. 2, 2008. he is now on probation for assult with the dangers weapon. i have put him in substance abuse counseling. he has been clean for 3 months now THANK GOD!! if u need any more advise i will try to help.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I have a neighbor who is going through this wit 2 kids. She has them both go to a group program that is sponsored by church twice a week. This is for teens only. Then they go to individual counseling once a week. They are both randomly tested by their father. Their parents have shared custody. So far I believe one has been clean since Dec and the other since Jan. They occasionally relapse, but if they learn how to deal with the drama a life w/o it then they won't feel the need to use anymore. I wish you all the luck b/c I know that it is a tough road to travel with a teenager.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Its weed, not crack cocaine. As long as he isn't driving around when high, do you really care? What are you going to do when he goes to college, drug search his dorm room? lol
    Anonymous

• If he is doing good in school, and presents no problem otherwise, what is the harm in weed, would you rather he be drinking instead?
    Anonymous

• Tell him that if you catch him or someone tells you that he is smoking weed, he goes to drug counseling...no second chances. Ignore the people that are implying it's not a big deal, it is. Tell your son that you will do random drug tests, show up at school unannounced, make his life a living hell until he is old enough to move out and support himself.

To anon:13; WEED IS ILLEGAL!!!! She is the parent that is why she cares. It is her job as a parent to care what he is doing, especially when it is an illegal activity. What he does when he is 18 and out of the house, that is a different story.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I can't believe the parents here that think it's ok for him to be smoking pot.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• How soon will he be 18?
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think your best option is to try to establish an open line of communication with your son. It is so important to always look past the behaviors to determine the reasons for it. Some key things to ask about: Is he seeking approval of his peers? Is their approval more important than that of his parents? Why would that be? Is he trying to compensate for some hole in his life with the drugs? What caused that hole? How can we fill that hole with something else so that the drugs are no longer needed? Too many times the fellow users become a substitute for the real family. This is why so many kids turn to gangs. In general, just try to look at the dynamics of this child's life, looking for anything that's missing for which the drugs have become a substitute. Then try to fix it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2009