Do public service ads go too far?

Has anyone heard the controversy over new public service ads "going too far"? The most recent uproar was over a domestic violence PSA done by Keira Knightly. Towards the end of the clip, there are also 2 other PSAs that are considered too "in your face". (They deal with workplace accidents and -I think- smoking) IMO I think that these ads may make viewers uncomfortable, but that they are no more shocking than when the actual events depicted happen. I think this is a valuable service and we can not always "sugar coat" these issues and still expect them to get noticed and encourage people to take action.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512219,00.html (article and link to veiw the ad/s)

What do you think ladies?

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its a bit graphic, but its reality.. I think its good to get it out there and start shining the light on domestic abuse and doing something to fix it.. I hope this commercial doesnt air on any shows my littles ones will happen to be watching.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I agree with you, some of the "regular" commercials are just as bad.

We were watching Andy Griffith the other day and a commercial came on about sleeping with lots of people, it was for a reality show. It ticked me off.

so why not have commercials that teach. If its the truth.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• They may be a little graphic and/or blunt but so is the reality of what they are trying to show. I really wish they did more awareness of the "less extreme." Your spouse does not have to beat you half to death for it to be abuse. I wish they would make more people aware that it shouldn't be tolerated even if it's verbal abuse or less aggressive physical violence. No level of abuse should be tolerated and I think it would be much more beneficial to make a bigger deal out of the things most people see as small or don't want to see at all (verbal abuse). But as far as those specific ads, I think they are great. I don't want my small child to see them but for adults, they are great.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I was watching the Today show ,they were talking about the smoking commercial. How they are traumatizing the young boy to get their message to the people. I don't see anything wrong with the commercial..

Anonymous

• Wow, that was amazing!

i love Kiera, and I love the message that was being sent in this ad.

Graphic? Maybe. But sometimes that's what we need to get the point across.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• no I do think they should be aired after 9 pm and should come with a discretion warning .
    But we need to deal with the reality of theese issues
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 3:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• How they are traumatizing the young boy to get their message to the people. I don't see anything wrong with the commercial..

The issue there wasn't the commercial - it was that they had the little boy's mother abandon him in a crowded train station for real, without warning, to get a "real" reaction out of him. You aren't watching a little boy act, you are watching a little boy freak out because he's lost and can't find his mother in real time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I like the smoking ones. I think shocking and in your face is good when it comes to that issue. I haven't seen any of the other ones.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Not Panicking
    Why in the hell are you attacking me? Show me the link what will show me that I was not watching a little boy act. I believe the lady who made the commercial not what you think.
    Anonymous

• OP Here- I watched the Keira ad from a clip of ABC News and Diane Sawyer specifically reported that little boy WAS a child actor....not a real crying boy dropped off somewhere.

So lets take that off the table and focus on the issues of the ads as a whole.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009