Can a 6 1/2 month old say his first words/talk?

The other night, my husband and I were laying in bed with our 6 1/2 month old and just hanging out and cuddling with him. Next thing we know, our son reaches up, grabs my nose, looks me in the eye and says, "I love you." (well, the "love" didn't have that definite "v" sound in it, more like "I luh you") I heard it and was skeptical at my own hearing, but before I could even say anything, my husband's eyes widened and said, "Did you hear that? He said I love you!" Our son has been physically developing pretty quick and has met some developmental milestones a couple months in advance already... so do you think he really said "I Luh you"?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think he did. My daughter said words early like that too and she understood them.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 2:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• doubtful... if it happens again take little benjamin button in for an evaluation to see if he is a genius. ;)
    Anonymous

• Anonymous: The thing is, you can't just expect a child to do something AGAIN super soon, because so many figure out how to do something then don't do it again for a long time... whether it is walking, talking, or rolling over!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• it was probably just babble that sounded like I love you, but if it makes you guys happy to think he said it then who cares what we think?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Aww... It's likely he does love you and was feeling it right then. Less likely, however, that he could put together a sentence like that. First words are usually one syllable,... "ba" for ball, bottle, balloon, etc, "da" for dad, dog, etc, "ma" if you're lucky. They work on the sounds for awhile before they associate them with a concrete object. Then it takes a really, really long time for them to start trying to express emotions like that. My daughter is 22 months and about a month or two ago she started saying "I love you too, daddy" (not in response to him saying it, but because he had given her a hug or just made her happy. Still, count it if you want to... it makes a cute story.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If my dads dog can say I love you and my step moms dog says leave me lone. Then, your baby can say I luh you.
    Anonymous

• My son was saying mama at that age so who knows! Once when he does start talking he won't stop! Good luck
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 4:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• yes i think he did my DD is 6 1/2 months old and is at 5 words. nothing like i love you but she says hi, dada (her fav), mama, night night, and baba. she also waves so yes he could have.
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 5:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anonymous- IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 5:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i think h e did every baby is different and they all develope at different speeds...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009