What age can I give my baby cheerios?

My DS is 7 months old and on stage 2 baby food. He prefers his cereal (mixed with fruits and veggies) to be the consistency between mashed potatoes and applesauce. He's showing a lot of interest in adult food even though I know he can't have it yet. He doesn't have teeth yet so I don't know if it is okay to give him cheerios... from what I remember cheerios pretty much dissolve when they get wet.

My questions are:

Is it okay to start giving him cheerios

What age did you give your baby cheerios (how did you know they were ready: doctor give the okay or did you go with the signs your baby gave you?)

alinker

Asked by alinker at 3:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son started when he was about eight or nine months old, and my daughter started when she was about seven months old. give your baby one, and see how he does with it. if he chews it and doesnt choke, then im sure he will be ok.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• For cheerios I always waited til they had teeth. But if you look in the baby food aisle in walmart- there are Wagon Wheels, and these things that are like Cheese puffs and the Baby Mum Mums that are textured solid foods and do dissolve very well.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would also recommend starting with the Gerber puffs (or off brand) because they melt in the mouth quicker. They are a better first chunky food than cheerios are.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I first gave my daughter cheerios when she was 6 1/2 months. They do dissolve pretty quickly. What I always do is try what I'm giving my daughter first. Put a cheerio in your mouth and suck or hold it in your mouth and to see how fast it dissolves. You know their ready for them when they have mastered eating thicker foods and seems like they want something more. Just watch closely over your baby while eating such things as cheerios or even the gerber puffs. .
    Anonymous

• I'd try the gerber puffs before the cheerios. I gave my son gerber puffs at 6 months old (I broke it in half at first). He mastered that quickly, and was able to eat a whole puff within a week's time. After that, I gave him gerber's graduates line of yougurt melts (I broke it in pieces at first, they are r I started to give him cheerios at 7 months old. They don't need teeth for those kind of food. They gum the food until they get their molars anyway. Just watch closely.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2009