Question about moving to a different state with my baby

My boyfriend is in the marines and got orders to California. I'm in Illinois living with my family. My son is 7 months old and somewhat recognizes my boyfriend (he only got to come around a day or 2 a week since my son was born) Now, my boyfriend is in Cali and the plan is to move me and my DS there in November. My son will be 15 months.. I expect by then my bf will be a stranger to him and my parents and sister won't be around. I know it will be stressful on him.
I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so:
What behaviors can I expect from my son?
How can I make the transition less stressful?
What other advice can anyone give me?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, it is going to be hard on him, but he is going to be looking at you too see how he needs to handle it too. So try to make it as smooth a transition as possible, and dont stress in front of him as much as you can help it. I would also try to have the same decorations and stuff in his room the same way they are now so he has a place that he feels is still his and normal. When you get there dont force your bf on him, let your son decide how much he wants to go to him, not the other way around. You said you live with your parents now? I would bring tons of pictures and stuff of them for him to see, so he doesnt feel quite so alone, and let him "talk" on the phone with them as much as possible. Try to make things fun for him, and keep as much of the routine that you have before you leave when you get there. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• As long as you are there and make everything okay, then everything will be okay!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:36 PM on Apr. 3, 2009