why do kids want to grow up so fast

okc-mom-2

Asked by okc-mom-2 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I did because I wanted the freedom to not be told what to do and now I'm gonna be 19 and still have no freedom
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• because we take away the kids stuff from them. And we tell them they are to old to play with dolls. They have to play with something that is when they get into smoking, drugs and sex.
    Also moms want to live though there kids and they allow their kids to dress older and do stupid things because they did not get to do it.
    Anonymous

• So that they can do whatever they please, whenever they please and not have to answer to you :P They will miss it one day.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• teens grow up so fast because society nowadays kind of forces thm to
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Because the grass looks greener on the other side.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• MEDIA
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'd guess becuase "The Grass is always Greener" reason.

Mine don't want to hurry to grow up though. They see it is working and paying bills and not getting to run around and play all the time.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We were the same way. I remember when I was a teen some 30 years ago and we couldn't wait. What has changed now is that society and overpermissive parents have pushed harder for kids to grow up. It's bad enough that I had to give the principle of my daughter's school a piece of my mind. We were told that she was "socially behind" when I asked why I was told that she still liked to play and jump rope and was hanging out with 3rd. graders. Many of the other 4th graders just wanted to stand around and gossip. I let them know that my daughter has the right to be a child and that at 9 or 10 playing is just what she should be doing. I also told them that maybe if they didn't push the kids to be grown up we might not have kids at 11 having boyfriends and getting pregnant at 13 and 14.
    Anonymous

• I was the same way when I was a kid. I wanted to be "free" to do what I wanted when I wanted- I was stupid and didn't know any better.. Now that I am almost 36 with 3 kids, bills to pay, food to buy, dr visits to pay- I wished I was a kid again. Kids just don't know how the world is. But society is a lot worse now than 20 something years ago when I was a kid. Kids are pushed more these days to be older and more mature. Just take a stroll through the kid's clothes section and have a look at what they want our children to wear.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I remember being very intrigued by meeting all kinds of different kids in Jr. high, then even more in HS (as our school distrist was very large... and we wound up with classes of 700+ studends in HS). So, it was exciting to meet new people, discover new things (good and bad!), test your limtis (again good and bad). Compare that to primary school when essentially you have the same kids around you, in your local neighborhood for 5-6 years.

I remember it being a great time, though yes, you are faced with many choices - and have to figure out where you stand on a lot of issues.

As parents, we tend to focus on the nuring in the very early years... frankly, I think the teen years are when we can have, and they need, the most influence. I was naive; that has been a surprise for me - I need to be even more available for them. Even if you think you are just chauffering them, wrong - its a good time to talk and influence!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2009