What if we're wrong?

What if there IS no God?

Alternatively, what if there IS?

Not really a debate question, just a thought to ponder for all.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hate quesitons that make my head hurt LOL!!! (that was a joke by the way) I'm a non-believer but I'm one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" type of people. I am constantly wondering WHAT IF.
    Anonymous

• You belive it when you see it, but it will be too late.
    Anonymous

• Either way, I am doing the best I can with my life & making the most of it as well as I know how. I'm not worried about it either way, if there is there is, if there isn't there isn't. It's fine either way. I'm pretty neutral towards it, neither would overly upset me or excite me. It would just be a new piece of information.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 3:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I was just thinking about this today. What if all the atheists are right and there IS no God? i mean, in retrospect, I guess I'd rather believe and be right than not believe and be wrong. But still . . . like you said, Anon 2:30 . . . WHAT IF?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Anon 2:30 are you from Missouri? ya know that's the "Show me" state!!! LOL
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• if there is no God then those who believe in him...well we just lived our lives by a good set of morals & standards (theoretically haha)

if there is a God then i hope im in the right faith & He sees me fit to live in paradise w/ Him. for the Atheists under this situtation...i hope God is all loving & judges them by how they lived more than their faith. i hate to think of anyone who wasnt truly evil being condemned.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• If it turned out there was no God, would it really matter what you had believed? Hopefully you were a good person here on earth regardless of what you believed about the afterlife. That's part of why I think that religious beliefs should make you a kinder and more compassionate person in the here and now. I'm okay with spiritual growth being a journey and not a destination, kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• LOL!! No, I am from MA :-)

I'm always asking "WHAT IF" ..but you know I've had the "you are going to hell" statement thrown in my face so many times because I choose to live my life a certain way... it's hard to feel comfy believing. Hell is not really the place I want to end up ..I was thinking more of rainbows, butterflies, and unicorns LOL!
    Anonymous

• Hmmm, I will still have enjoyed and cherished every single aspect of my life and know that I lived my life to the very best. That is the most important thing to me even if I am wrong about what comes after I die.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• It's a good way to ask yourself if by living by your faith (or non-faith), are you actually happy? If it turned out you were wrong and spent your life miserable, it would be a terrible waste. If you are denying religion on principle and stubbornness, and at the same time, aren't real happy about yourself as a person, maybe looking into it wouldn't hurt. If you are a devout >whatever< yet feel something is always empty and like you are constantly being tested rather than at peace, maybe it's time to look into another alternative.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2009