Should I continue to breastfeed?

I breastfeed my son most of the time, but give formula occasionally. He seems to spit up more with breastmilk. Should I continue to breastfeed or switch to formula?

amyrufft

Asked by amyrufft at 3:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you discussed the spitting up with your pediatrician?
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 3:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Try keeping a food log and then also keep track of when your baby spits up. It's quite possible that you are eating something that your baby is allergic to or that just bothers his stomach. Talk to your pediatrician about it as well. Breastfeeding is wonderful and if you can, keep doing it.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• if it's not a significant amount of spit up I wouldn't worry about it. Some babies are just spitters. If he seems to spit up all of his meal then look into it more, other than that don't worry. Most of the time the amount of spit up looks like a lot more than what it really is.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i agree some babies just spit up my DD did and i was scared. it was nothing. if you want to go off breast try doing every other one and then slowly replace them all. just keep and eye on your babies weight and the food log is a great idea.
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 5:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Keep breastfeeding! A bit of spit-up is fine. If your baby is also very fussy, try eliminating dairy from your diet.

Breast is always best :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2009