ear infection/ache?

I think my 2 year old has an ear infection. the past 2 nights shes been waking up and crying, really restless. she just started pulling at her ear, its slightly red and shes whiney. Cant take her to doctor. What can I do for it now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a urgent care clinic where you are??? just a question , why can't you take her to doc?
    we used a warm waterbottle, WARM- with a towel wrapped around it. It helps ease a little pain. Also motrin is good at getting the swelling down- Id pump her full of tylenol and motrin before bedtime. Maybe it will make her sleep better until you can get her in. I would take her in though.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My son just had 2. They told me to give him motrin and tylenol. Also to have him sleep upright so I put a pillow under his matress. It worked.
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 4:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I would def take her to the doc soon as you can. My son's ear infections won't go away until he gets a anitbiotic for it
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 4:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Oh, does she go to bed with a bottle and or sippy? they say that drinking in bed (laying down) that the milk gets stuck in the estation tubes. i probally totally spelled that wrong, but oh well.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We use wally's ear oils for ear infections. Clears it up in a day or two. You can pick it up at any health food store. have her lay on your lap, add four drops, then rub behind her ear towards her ear loab for about 10 min. Do this 2 a day. if you can't get to a health food store, hydroden paroxide works well too. I would do that about 3 times a day though. But once the infection clears up, do't use a q tip to clean her ear, just use a was rag to clean as much as you can so that the oils in her ear can build back up... paroxide can dry out the ear if your not careful.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't use peroxide that can make an infection worse. I would just use tylenol and motrin and definately take him in as soon as you can. Most ear infections don't fully go away with out antibiotics.
    MamaK0507

Answer by MamaK0507 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Warm compresses are great as well as expressed breast milk if you have it or garlic oil drops. Actually most ear infections are viral and do go away without antibiotics, but take a little while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2009