• In the Spotlight:

Anyone have these issues with your families?

My son is almost two and just learning all kinds of new words. We have tried to tell our families since my DH and I had DS that we do not want people to cuss in front of him. His mom gave us the most problem over it because she said she felt we were "picking on her language" but we ask the same of everyone and if someone swears we ask them to please not use that kind of language but my father and my husbands uncle and my husbands mom continue to do it ALL THE TIME. I don't want my son to learn those kinds of words. I know I can't shelter him forever but I don't think a two year old should be learning that type of vocabulary. Anyone else have these problems with your family? and what do you do when it just doesn't stop even when you call them out on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you aren't in your own home there really isn't anything you can do about it unless you just don't go anymore.
    Anonymous

• If they are in your home, ask them to leave. If you are in their home, leave. It's a respect issue, and they do not respect you as a mother.
    Anonymous

• I agree completely. Leave or tell them too. If you dont set the respect boundaries now it will only get worse the older he gets.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I know how you feel, they never listen or they think it's funny when He repeats it.
    Anonymous

• Each time they say a bad word in front of your child use it as a teaching opportunity. Point out that grandma is using a bad word and that we don't say those words. Eventually, they will get sick of you making examples of them. Also your child will start correcting them & telling them "bad word"
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree with motherofhope98. Its a good way to teach him bad words from good, but also get grandma to watch her language out of sheer annoyance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well, I agree with you, but unfortunately we cant control what other people do. This is where they are going to have to show respect for what youve asked. I truly hope they do because theres nothing sadder than seeing a child, especially a 2 or 3 yr old child curse because they heard it from somewhere else. I will point out that cursing is not "a langauge" as your mother stated. Its just nasty words, not a dialect. If they choose to not respect you, then you just have to do the best you can.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I HAVE THE PROBLEM WITH DADDY!! He constantly swears and I'll tell him to watch his mouth...I don't think it sunk in that our LOs were going to pick up the language until my daughter said "Hey dumbass". His eyes got real big then! He's gotten better, but he still slips up and it drives me nuts.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have had this problem with my brother. And he lived with me and my (now ex) husband when my daughter was not quite 2 yrs old. Every other word was (still is) a swear word. My daughter (at 21 months old at the time) told me to "F**ck off", thought that playing a video game consisted of throwing the controller and yelling "Goddamn it!", said "F**ck this sh**t" to my mom while they were in a Target shopping.....And this all started within a week of him staying with us. I did start using him as an example of what NOT to say. Now, at 5 yrs old, if you swear, she will say "What have I told you about using bad words?" And we're still constantly on my brother's butt about language. But he insists that is just how he talks and "if we taught her better" she wouldn't repeat what she heard. Basically, putting the blame away from him as an excuse to continue talking like that.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2009