My baby is 7 months old and the doctor told us to start meat at 8 months. What kind of meat did you start your baby out with? I saw the Gerber dinners of Chicken, Beef, Turkey. Did you use those or did you just give your baby what you ate?

My baby has 2 bottom teeth right now.

sophiegrace2008

Asked by sophiegrace2008 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started with the Gerber baby foods with meat in them, such as the dinners. I haven't given him too much meat that we eat because it had a lot of seasoning on it.

See how baby does with the Gerber meat and go from there ....
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I started with the meat by itself, then made my own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I highly doubt your baby will like the straight up meat in the jars...that stuff is nasty lol. I gave my baby stage 2 dinners with meat in them. He is 8 months now and eats table food for the most part.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon, the straight meat purees are so gross. The ones with chicken and sweet potatoes, or turkey and veggies, always were popular with my daughter. I also made my own purees with chicken and various veggies, put them in ice cube trays and popped them in the freezer. At 8 months most babies aren't ready to chew most meats. The soft canned chicken or small bites of deli meats could be ok for finger foods by around 9 months, but depends on the child. It's not about teeth, it's about their coordination. Once they've mastered other finger foods, you can try the meats. Also be careful of hotdogs, because even though they're soft they're a big choking hazard because of their size. Make sure when you start those you cut them lenthwise in 4ths and then in small pieces horizontally.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my baby is alomst 9 months, he has no teeth but he can eat what we eat for the most part. unless it's something he needs molars to chew like steak, he is fine just gumming it, and he doesn't choke. i wouldn't give my kids anything i won't eat myself, and those purees are downright disgusting.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We started with chicken. I made my own at first. But I have also bought jarred. Check the lables though... some say something like Chicken and Rice... and they might have a bunch more things in it your baby hasn't had.
    My son really likes the ones with Sweet Potato Chicken or Turkey
    My son doesn't really care for much of the other meat dinners we have tried. We are starting to just give small pieces of meat. (chicken, hamburger, roastbeef) he's 8 months. He doesn't have many teeth either... and it doesn't matter because they don't use their teeth to chew they mash with their gums.
    The just meat ones or sometimes they say with gravy... NASTY the look, smell and taste like cat food! (well I guess I've never tasted cat food... but I tasted the baby food... YUCK)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Yuck Yuck! Have you ever tried the gerber "meat"
    Honestly, I never gave my little girl baby food. It just seemed unnatural. We invested in the "Magic Bullet" its a very easy to use and clean blender. frozen veggies, fruit, even chicken and apples were blended up. I always figured if they get used to the accual taist of food from the start, its less likely they will be fussy eaters. My little girl is one, and she loves everything!
    susan_marie

Answer by susan_marie at 5:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• We were giving table foods at that age.

Teeth don't matter.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• i think you should make whatever you like and make it fresh because you want your child to have good eating habits as they get older too and now is the time to start. you dont want your child to be picky and if you start giving them too many options they will take all of them. There is not right meat to choose, its whatever you are most comfortable with, trust your instincts ans run with them. Buy a baby food grinder and grind whatever you eat for your child, it is such a healthier way to go. Good luck!!!
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 6:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• ewww...my DD will be vege.
    Anonymous