Is there a certain point when you can stop washing infant clothing before they wear them?

I use dreft right now and wash everything before it touches his skin. I know when I buy clothes for myself I just wear it without washing it first.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son still needs to wash everything before he wears it, and he is an adult. You could try not washing and watch if your child breaks out. I don't wash everything I wear first, either. But if your child breaks out and he's just been wearing something new, you'll know it needs to be washed first.

Answer by Bmat at 4:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Neither of my kids had overly-sensitive skin, and while I still try to wash it first, sometimes I don't (and things like dresses I almost never do)... I started getting more relaxed about it maybe starting about 5-6 months. Also, since Dreft is so pricey, I've found that any brand that has a Free and Clear detergent works just fine. We used that with our baby's clothes this time around and had no problems. We use it on all our clothes.

I did have a relative who had seen some manufacturing conditions first-hand, though, and he suggested we ALL wash our clothes before wearing. I'm often too lazy to follow his advice...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• You can stopping spending that extra money on dreft! All Free and Clear is the same idea and much cheaper. I use it for all of our clothes now, so we don't have to buy separate detergents for dd than us.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• well you don't need to use dreft really. but it is always a good idea to wash your clothes before you wear them when you bring them home. you never know what could be on them bug wise, chemical wise, and germ wise!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Uhhhh, I wash EVERYTHING before I wear it, with the exception of jackets. And I've always use all free and clear on the baby's clothes.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm 42 and still wash all of my clothes before I wear them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I don't always wash my clothes before I wear them. It depends on the day, same with my children's clothes. I never used any special detergent on my children's clothes either (they are now 15 months and 27 months). I just threw them in with our laundry. Everyone is fine, no allergic reactions.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I used dreft on my 6 month old daughter's clothes, & her bibs still had baby food on them after they were washed. But I rarely wash her clothes before she wears them anymore.. I used to, but we have to go to the laundry mat & it's just a lot of trouble.
    _MommyRachel_

Answer by _MommyRachel_ at 9:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2009