Who's bigger, the parent, or the kid?

I am so tired of seeing posts about the parent complaining and asking for help because the kid (seen questions asking about ages 6 weeks to 17 years) won't let them do such-n-such. My 6 week old won't let me put her down, my 7 yo won't let me leave him with a baby sitter. My 2 year old won't let me put him to bed. My 5 month old won't let my husband hold him. Dear God are these kids threatening physical harm or are you really so nieve to think that the kid won't get over it. The world will not fall apart ifyour baby cries for a bit, or your teenager is mad at you. You are the parent, you are bigger, you make the rules, the kid will get over it. By the way I used all hypothetical examples so no one can say I am bashing anyone inperticular. Why do some mom's not get it that they are in control and can make their own kids mind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Umm, yeah you're absolutely right. When my daughter was 8 weeks old and cried for her mother. I should have just put her down and let her scream and cry. I should have told her "I'm the boss, and I will take care of you when I damn well please." I'm sure she would've understood. . . . . (rolling eyes)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• it is difficult to make kids mind when they have a mind of their own ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• my 15 yr old is bigger than me. it's almost funny in a way to have a child bigger and stronger than me who obeys so well. Not that I think he'll disobey, but I thhink "wow, he's bigger and stronger. he could tell me 'no' and just NOT do it. and there's not muchh I could do"
    Makes me extra thankful we've done our best raising him when he was little.

SO- discipline and steer your kids in the right direction NOW while they are small enough! I can;t imagine having to deal with disobedient, mean kids that are bigger and stronger than me.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Some people think they should be their kids friend... So they let the kids walk all over them...We have made it very clear to our kids that we are NOT their friends, we are their parents and we demand respect. And I honestly don't care what other people think or do...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 4:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• and though I agree with most of the things- babies need to be loved and held when they cry.

It is not good at all to leave a crying infant alone, leaving their cry for love and touch unanswered.

and even though kids have a mond of their own, you can stilll raise them correctly and teach them to obey.
    Mine are all on the autism spectrum, with anxiety and sensory problems. very stubborn and with a Mind of their Own- but they are all great, obedient, happy boys- it takes a lot of time and commitment- but all parenting does.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• LOL, so true.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• 1st poster, I am not talking about ignoring the baby and making her cry it out. What I am talking about is when a parent says something stupid like I have to go to the bathroom and my 6 week old wont let me put her down what do I do? Babies will be okay long enough to go to the bathroom. And a baby will be okay with their dad for you to go to the store, enough of this I cant leave him with his dad he wont let me. I know it is hard to make kids mind when they are older and have a mind of their own, but you give consequences for behaviors, not say well they can do it because my 3 yo wont let me put him in time out. What I am talking about is parents not doing things because they are afraid their kids will either 1)cry 2) be mad at them or 3) tell them no and the parents don't know how to discipline them afterwards so they just dont set boundaries.
    Anonymous

• IDK about you, but I am VERY involved in my children's lives. Have been all along. You are the elder and are to be respected. They have to learn this at an early age. That doesn't mean you have to be a $%$% either. I am very involved with their schooling and their extra curricular activities like baseball, etc., but they know not to "mess with mom". My 13 year old son told my DH the other day that he is scared of me. I said that's good cause he knows when he does something wrong he is gonna get in trouble. When I was younger I never ditched school for example. Not because of what the school would do, I was afraid what would happen when I got home! LOL!!! You baby your kids when they are younger and they grow to be bigger babies. They need to learn early on they don't always get what they want. They don't NEED to be held everytime they cry. If you don't pick them up every 5 seconds they will learn.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Way to go mom!
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 4:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I absolutely HATE it when people say that their kids MAKE them hit them. That is the ONLY one that bothers me.
    The ones you stated is more of the mother being concerned for her child's feelings and well being. When a mom cares about her child... nope doesn't bother me one bit.
    Anonymous