Family Medicine of Pediatrics?

I am in my 8th month and I need to start looking for a Dr for my baby. My OB recommended a family physician because then the baby and I can both go to the same office right by my house. My mom says that she thinks a pediatrician is better because they deal with children only and she feels like they know more about babies. Which do you use? And what do you feel the pros and cons are?

musikdoll

Asked by musikdoll at 4:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We have used both over the years. I tend to gravitate towards Pediatricians both for my own when they were young and for my g-kids. My experience has been Ped's usually are more up to date with what is going on in the pedi world. They are specialist. I was rarely comfortable taking my sons in to see a Dr who have just treated Grandma Moses for her bunions..know what I mean.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Pediatricians are better because they cater to the needs of children specifically. Especially if your child may have a serious health condition. Like a pediatric cardiologist, etc. They know better how to work with "smaller parts". I wouldn't recommend a family physician til they are like teenagers maybe.
    Anonymous

• I wanted to use my family doc but I have a hard time making an appointment the same day, so felt that was not ideal for an infant. I choose a smaller pedi office and have not had any problems. My hubby wanted a pedi b/c they are specialized. Either doc, is going to know when they are no longer qualified and recommend a specialist, so I don't think it matters. All that matters is how well that doc interacts with you and your child.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• My family doc actually gave me advice for my daughters dry skin at one of my visit. She's such a great doc! She was more than willing to explain some of the bumps on her neck and answer questions for my daughter as well as me.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I've used both for my kids, peds are better suited to kids issues. Look around and see if you can maybe find a practice that has both. Mine has my family practice dr that I see, and a ped that my kids see, in the same office. We can set all our appts up for the same day, one right after the other, even in the same exam room for all of us. It also works well b/c if, for some reason the ped isn't available, and the kids have just some kind of general illness they need to be seen for, they can see my dr instead the same day, instead of waiting several days for an appt with their own dr., which happens around here sometimes with some of the peds.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2009