HELP! My fiance and I don't agree on discipline for our almost three year old, any suggestions, or help??? It's really coming between us =[

We have FAR views from eachother. I use to be more like him, but I found out that other things work better, for me. He refuses to see things my way, and he thinks I don't see things his way, when he KNOWS I use to discipline the same way. Now our son is starting to tell me he doesn't like daddy. If I'm busy and he wants to cuddle, I'll ask him to go lay with daddy, and he'll refuse. I know this make my fiance mad. I also think he takes his anger out on our son. Not physically, but if he's mad about something else, he'll look for things to yell at our son for. I love him dearly, and we have another baby on the way. I'm honestly considering adoption because I don't want another child to not like him, or worse, not like me. I don't know what to do. I've tried talking to him, but maybe I'm not saying the right thing? I can't keep from crying about it everyday. It's killing me inside. HELP PLEASE!!!! Ask anything, I'll respond ASAP

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 4:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow. I'm really sorry you're going through that, and it really sounds serious if you're considering giving your child up for adoption. Can you see a couples therapist? I know this isn't financially possible for everyone, but some insurances will pay for it. Is your fiance willing to talk through your discipline styles, etc? It is really important for the child's benefit (and for all of you) that you maintain a united parental front. Otherwise it is very confusing and can lead to problems later on. Could you find a book on parenting/discipline that matches your style? If so you could have your husband read it, you could discuss it. You could challenge him to do the same... This may be a lot of homework if you have a 3 year-old already, but could be worth a try...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• Thanks so much emilysusan. That is a great idea and I haven't thought of that yet. I will definitely look into it now though. I really thought this was going to be an unanswered question and me sitting here just wondering. Thank you SO SO SO SO much. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2009